Chapter 18: Aftermath Pt.2

Celene

      My body tenses up when we pull onto the dirt road. Damien squeezes my hand  and gives me a small smile to reassure me. He cuts the engine when we're in front of the house and climbs out. He comes over to my side and opens the door. I look at the house reluctant to get out. 

      Damien takes my hand and looks at me softly.

      "It's okay. I'll be right beside you."

I nod and climb out. He holds my hand as we walk to the front door and into the house. It's eerily quiet compared to normal. Leo runs down the stairs and I jump.

      "Oh! You startled me Leo," I say as I sigh with relief.

      "He's not in the house. I checked everywhere. Why are we looking for him?" he asks as his eyes fall to my hand.

      "Are you okay Celene?"

      "I'll be fine Leo," I say with a smile.

      "I was wondering," he starts and I look into his face.

      "I found your night shirt in the bathroom trash can. Did you throw it away?"

      My smile falls and I sit down on the couch, cradling my arm.

      "Leo," Damien says softly from the kitchen.

Leo rubs my back and walks into the kitchen.

      "What is it? What happened?" he asks quietly.

      "Something happened last night," says Damien.

      "What?"

      "Owen- did something- last night- with Celene," Damien says slowly.

      "I'm not entirely following."

      "Something- unwanted- happened between Celene and Owen," Damien clarifies.

      "Did he- Did he- assault her?" Leo asks with a shaky voice.

      "Gods... Why would he- Why?"

      "I plan on finding him and asking," says Damien angrily.

I sniffle and stand up. I make brief eye contact with them before quickly walking toward the stairs. I can still see the sympathy written on their faces and it pains me.

      I go into my room and close my door, leaning against it. My phone vibrates on my desk. I answer it without thinking and hear Owen's voice.

      "Hey Celene."

My heart sinks and I gasp softly.

      "I was wondering if something happened last night. I feel like something bad happened- and that it was my fault," he says as I tremble with a tear sliding down my cheek.

      "H-How do you not r-remember what y-you did?" I whisper.

      "I did do something... Shit... What-What did I do?"

      "Y-You-You ass-ss-assaulted m-me..."

Owen goes completely silent for what feels like forever.

      "I'm-I'm so sorry... I-I don't-don't- I'm so sorry... What can I do?"

      I feel absolutely baffled. I can't form an intelligible sentence.

      "W-What c-can you- How- There is nothing-Nothing you can do. Just stay away from me Owen," I say flatly.

I end the call and slide down onto the floor. I cry softly to myself until I fall asleep.