The forgotten

Angelica's POV:

We were in our history classroom yet again, and this time upon the board was the words 'the forgotten.'

"Who here knows about the great depression?" Mr. Matthews asked.

"I thought it was called the grand canyon," Riley interjected.

"Excellent. Who here knows about the great depression? Maya?"

"Nothings going to beat that, sir," Maya answered, laughing.

"Farkle, save me."

"The year was 1929, the stock market crashed, everyone lost their jobs and money. And the people who were comfortable were now lost and became known as..." Farkle answered, pointing at me.

"The forgotten." How did he know I would know that. Maybe it goes back to that whole movie prediction thing. Perhaps he can read people or something.

"Correct, thank you, Angelina and Farkle. Working-class people, the heart and soul of our country, basically taken for granted in the first place, and now, discarded and forgotten." Mr. Matthews said.

"How could that happen?" Lucas asked,

"It shouldn't happen, Mr. Frair."

"But that could never happen to anyone in the grand canyon today, could it?" Riley asked.

"I don't know, Riley. I'm sure you would never take anyone for granted, right?"

"I would never."

"And do you think there's anyone who cares about who goes under apprenticed or overlooked?"

"Maya, my life is so much better with you in it."

"I know, pumpkin," Maya answered.

"Thank you, dad. For the first time, I've actually understood something you tried to teach me."

"Please bell ring. Ring! Ah-ah," Mr. Matthews says and walks out of the classroom.

"You can do that?" Maya asks.

*time skip*

It was now lunch. Lucas and Farkle were building some kind of volcano out of mashed potatoes, and Riley and Maya were in line for food. They sit down at the table. There wasn't another seat, so I was stuck here today. "That's the happiest I've seen her. Look, I don't care what electives we get as long as we don't end up in-"

"Dun Dun Dun." Farkle cuts in.

"Cafeteria duty." Maya finishes. The girls shudder in disgust. I wouldn't mind that, but I was really hoping for a different elective. I already had one in mind, but I don't want to think about it too hard. I might not get it then. Mr. Matthews walked by us and saw no-one eating.

"Do you guys ever really eat the food?" He asks.

"No." He nods then walks off.

"How do you guys even make this thing erupt anyway, "Maya asks while putting something in it.

"Maya, don't," Farkle says, but it's too late. "She's gonna blow!" Suddenly the volcano starts erupting gravy. I sigh and get up to grab some paper towels from the other side of the cafeteria. They probably weren't going to clean up this mess.

The bell rings, and the students rush out to sign up for their electives. They left a giant mess. Great. I meet the janitor of this school, and he seemed like such a nice guy. He shouldn't have to clean all of this up himself. I start throwing trash away and putting plates on the conveyor belt. I would miss signing up for electives, but that's okay. I can find something, I'm sure. It might not be my first choice, but oh well. I noticed Riley and her group with janitor Harley and the cafeteria lady. I don't know her name, because I never eat at school, so I never go through the line. I moved to a closer table while I was cleaning, and now I could hear their conversation.