Popular

Angelina's POV:

We were in school on Monday again. Riley looked over at something and then turned back, really excited towards Maya and me. "Look what's happening. Look what's coming."

"What's coming crazy?" Maya asked.

"Invitations to the seventh-grade parties. It's begun. We could be party girls. I'm going to need a party girl walk." Riley says, doing some type of weird walk around us.

"It could use some work." I say while at the same time Maya says, "Yeah, that's not it."

"You know there are going to be boys at this party. Not just any boys, opposite-sex boys. They're the best kind."

"Yeah, you sound ready for this," Maya says sarcastically.

"Oh, I am. And I may just be the first girl who crosses the threshold from our side of the room to..."

"Yeah, it's going to be me/you." Riley and Maya say at the same time.

"You know what pretty boy hipster is handing out invitations to, right?" Riley asks.

"A party," Maya answers.

"Membership cards to the popular club."

"Why can't you just let it be a party?"

"Because this is it, right here. This is where we go one way, and you go the other. You get the invite, and you marry pretty boy hipster, and I marry Anthony Delvicco, and we buy things in bulk. You're going to be popular, and we're not." Riley said, referring to her and me. I wonder in her twisted mind who I'm getting married too.

Rilley and I got the innovations, and Maya didn't. This wasn't an actual party. It's a good thing I already had plans to have Gabby stay the night. I really didn't want to go to a fake party or a real one. Plus, Lucas was back in Texas, so I'm supposed to facetime him when Gabby goes to sleep.

We walk into Mr. Matthews's classroom, and Riley slaps her invitation on Mr. Matthew's desk. "You got invited to something?" Mr. Matthews asked.

"So much for genetics, baby," Riley answered.

"Ooh, seventh-grade party. Yup, I didn't get invited to a whole lot of these. Good for you, I'm proud of you. Boy-girl party?"

"Yup."

"You can't go." They both say at the same time.

"May I approach?" Maya asks.

"Hurry, please."

"I'm gonna keep your young'un out of trouble, sir."

"Hart, you are trouble. Why would I want my young'un anywhere near the same party you're gonna be at?" Mr. Matthews asked.

"You wouldn't. Say it. You know you wanna say it."

"You can't go if Maya's invited." 

"Maya's not invited," Riley said.

"Then you may go," Maya says.

"Thanks, daddy."

 "Alright, good day, everybody. Class dismissed."

"Sit down!" Mr. Matthews says.

"Sit down." Riley and Maya say in unison.

 "So, there's this guy Damocles who really really wants to be king. One day, he gets an invitation to come to sit on the throne and actually hang with royalty."

"No!" Riley shouts.

"Sup, Riles? Pop's lesson hitting a little too close to home?" Maya asked.