1961

Angelina's POV:

When I walk into the classroom the next day, I noticed that Zay wasn't there, and written on the board was a quote by Bob Dylan. Everyone looks extra bored today, and Mr. Matthews decides to start his lesson soon after I notice this. "The 60s man. Influential musicians like Bob Dylan and Joan Baez playing guitars and singing like prophets. The times, they were a-changing," He said, looking happy to be teaching on this time period.

"The class, they are a-sleeping,"  Farkle adds as the class looks bored out of their minds. I personally liked the 60s. It was interesting to study, in my opinion. However, I've always been a bit of a nerd.

"It's not your fault, dad. It's just the stuff you're saying." Riley adds on, trying to be supportive.

"I'm talking about the '60s, man."  Mr. Matthews added once more, trying to get the class more excited.

"Nobody cares about when you were our age."

"Riley, it was over 50 years ago. How old do you guys think I am?"

"There's no right answer to this, sir," Lucas answered. I smiled lightly. That was actually kind of funny, but no one outside my family has heard me laugh, as previously mentioned. Plus, after yesterday and the past five years, he did not deserve the satisfaction of making me smile, let alone laugh.

"You should teach us, future class, now give us something we could use." Maya contributed, but history repeats itself, so it almost was like a future class in a way.

"Listen, Dad, you're doing a wonderful job up there, and we're delighted that you're all jazzed up-" Riley starts.

"-But history has nothing to do with us." Maya finishes her best friend's statement.

"I'm gonna snap this chalk now." Mr. Matthews adds, clearly frustrated.

"Uh-oh," Lucas adds, apparently knowing where he was going with this.

"Snap. What did you guys do yesterday?"

"I think I had grapes," Riley says with a bright smile on her face. She seems to do that a lot.

"Do you know what yesterday was?"

"Grapes day."

"It's history." Me and Mr. Matthews said at the same time.

Everyone looked surprised. "Correct, Angelina. Every decision you make every day, every time you decide to turn left instead of right, you make history and affect someone else's. And if you refuse to learn that, I guarantee you, you guys will not become the best person you can be. Because history is all about missed opportunities. "History has nothing to do with us," wasn't it, Ms. Hart?" Mr. Matthews continues.

"Can't remember. It was like five minutes ago." Maya answers.

"Fine. I am not gonna teach you guys about the '60s. You are. History is alive, even if you weren't. But now you're gonna be. You will visit the 1960s and give a report."

"Time travel," Farkle adds. I smile at that, but this one gets noticed, and Farkle smiles back.

"How do we do that, dad? We weren't even there." Riley questions.

"You were."  Mr. Matthews corrects her.

"How?"

"You all have grandparents or great-grandparents. Choose one who was around during that time. Learn all you can about them and report back. We will be doing progress checks in groups and presentations separately. Lucas, Riley, Maya, Farkle, and Angelina will be one group." I tuned out as he named the other groups. "Then we'll see if history has Nothing to do with us. Living history. Now I'm all jazzed up." We agreed we would meet after school the next day. Not that I really had a choice in the matter. This was a grade.