Home for the holidays

Angelina's POV:

It was Christmas, and my aunt had to work. I tried to put on a brave face, but this would be the first Christmas I spent by myself. Aunt Wendy only passed away eight months ago, and this was supposed to be my first Christmas with Aunt Lucy, and that isn't happening anymore either. Me and Aunt Wendy had so many plans for this Christmas too. We were going to see the trail of lights, watch the live version of the nutcracker, watch all our favorite Christmas movies, open our presents, make hot chocolate, and build gingerbread houses. All that was just gone now.

I thought about texting Lucas to see if I could spend Christmas with him, but he was probably with his family. I didn't want to interrupt that. I guess I'll just watch the movies myself. As soon as I picked a movie, my phone beeped. I looked at it to see a text from Maya. What was she texting me for, shouldn't she be with her mom. I opened it to see that her mom also had to work, and she was going to spend Christmas at Mr. and Mrs. Matthews's house, and she wanted me to go with her. I accepted her invitation, it was better than spending Christmas alone, right? She said she would pick me up in about twenty minutes. I had to get out of my pajamas and into real clothes then and get the presents. I only had the time to get presents for Maya and Lucas though, so it would be better to do it privately. I really wanted to get gifts for everyone, but I didn't have the money either. I put on my boots, finishing my outfit and my thoughts.

Just as I put on my scarf, there was a knock on my door

Just as I put on my scarf, there was a knock on my door. I got Maya's present ready and opened the door. I handed her the gift and watched as she opened it, hoping she liked it. Since I knew that she liked art I did a picture that I painted of us in an album cover style with the song title you got a friend in me.

 Since I knew that she liked art I did a picture that I painted of us in an album cover style with the song title you got a friend in me

I watched as she opened it and didn't have a reaction. Oh, no. Did she not like it. "I'm sorry, Maya. I assumed you would like it. I can get you something else-" I started.

"It's beautiful. No one ever done something like this for me, thank you." Maya cut me off. I looked at her to see her smiling, and then she set it down and pulled me in a hug.

"You're welcome," I said as I hugged her back.

"I got you something too," Maya said, pulling away.