Friendship

Angelina's POV:

We were in Mr. Matthews's history class the next day, and I was back to my normal seat. Mr. Matthews was talking about the upcoming elections. For some reason, Lucas wasn't there. I wonder what happened. He hadn't texted me to hang out this weekend either. I hope he was okay. "Democracy. Our form of government where the power lies with the people. So who here can tell me another form of government where the power doesn't lie with the people?" Mr. Matthews asked us.

"Farkle. Thank you, sir. Dictators, love 'em. They get to do whatever they want. I hope to be one someday." Farkle said.

Lucas comes in through the back door. "Mr. Frair!"

"Sorry for being late sir. My flight was delayed." Lucas explained. I guess he went back to Texas this weekend, and that's why we couldn't hang out.

"You went back to Texas again this weekend?" Riley asked.

"Visited my friends."

"He misses his old friends."

"Aww, cowboys got the blues. Campfire for one. My friends are all cows, and I miss 'em." Maya sang, as Lucas pulled out his harmonica and played with her. "I will never get to you, will I?"

"No, but I sure do appreciate the effort," Lucas answered.

"Okay, guys, seventh-grade student council elections are coming up." Mr. Matthews said.

All the class groaned except Lucas, me, and Farkle. Farkle even said "yay."

"Why that?"

"Because every year somebody runs, make promises, and nothing ever changes," Riley said.

"Yeah, what lunkhead is running the election this year," Maya asked.

"How ya doin'" Mr. Matthews answered.

"Can't you just make a change?" Riley asked.

"You know what? It's up to you guys to make changes. Since we're studying different forms of government this year, why don't we let the candidates run in any form of government they want. So any nominations?"

"I, Farkle, nominate, I, Farkle, for dictator," Farkle said.

"Farkle you can't just nominate yourself."

"I'll nominate him." Someone from the back said.

"Really?"

"Yeah, I like you. I got your back."

"I thought you had my back?" Farkle asked Lucas.

"I got his back," Lucas said toward the kid at the back.

"Whoa, easy there harmonica." The kid said putting his hands up in surrender.

"Who are you? Where did you come from?"

"He's the rebel," Riley said.

"Well, what am I?"

"You're the good guy. Our moral compasses." Farkle answered.

"Whoa, that sounds hard to pull off."

"Yeah, well you're really good at it."

"Thanks."

"See?"

"He's right, Frair. Represent Democracy." Mr. Matthews said.

"I don't know, Mr. Matthews. If democracy worked, maybe I would have gotten a vote on where I got to live." Lucas answered. Was he not happy being with me again? I understand wanting to go back to Texas, since I did too sometimes, but never at the cost of losing Maya and Lucas. Was it not the same for him?