Chapter 26

Courtney

"And that's how the Declaration of Independence became an important part our American history." Mr. Patterson stared. "Got that Fulton?" I looked back at Fulton.

"Yessir." Fulton said. I turned back to the front.

"Okay. Now, can anyone tell me who's signature was so big, that even the King could see it without his glasses?" Mr. Patterson asked. I rose my hand. I think I know this.

"Yes, Courtney?" Mr. Patterson asked. I swallowed hard.

"Is it John Hancock?" I asked. Mr. Patterson smiled and nodded.

"Correct! Yes. It was Mr. Hancock's signature. Okay guys, homework tonight is to finish reading chapter three and don't forget about prom coming up next week. Guys ask the girl this time." Mr. Patterson announced. I looked over at Connie.

"There's a prom?" I asked while packing up.

"Yeah! You didn't hear about it?" Connie asked with a huge smile on her face. I shook my head. "Well, Guy already asked me and I'm super excited!" Connie said. I zipped up my backpack when the bell rang. I stood up and put the straps on my shoulders. "Has Adam asked you yet?"

"If he did, I don't know if I would say yes. He left the team. What am I suppose to do?" I asked. Connie shrugged.

"Come on, we're gonna be late for next class." Connie said like she's my mom. I smiled and we started to walk out of the class. "Oh, and we have our first game today." Connie said. I looked at her with shock.

"What? I'm not hearin' anything anymore. Is John Stamos comin' to the hockey game too?" I asked with a laugh. She started to laugh.

"You never know." Connie implied. I started to giggle.

"Hey! Give me back my lunch!" I heard someone yell. Connie and I stopped and looked by the lockers. It was the jocks picking on Ken. I rolled my eyes.

"There they go again." Connie sighed. She sighed. "Why do they need to bully people?"

"Make 'em feel bigger I guess." I replied. I looked down.

"Come on, let's go before more trouble begins." I looked up and nodded. We walked by Ken (which I feel really bad about) and straight for the stairs. A whole group of cheerleaders came down the stairs at the same time. One of the nudged me. She looked back at me.

"What do you have to say for yourself?" She asked as she chewed on her gum hard.

"Nothin'." She stared at me.

"What?" She said like a big brat.

"Nothin', I didn't do anything." I said. She looked back at her friends and started to laugh, then she looked at me.

"I should be treated with respect." She stated.

"Why? Just because your a cheerleader?" I asked.

"Apparently you don't know who I am. Lauren Green." She said meanly.

"And apparently you don't know who I am because if you did, you would know that I don't care." I snapped. She laughed.

"I'll have my boyfriend talk some sense into you." Lauren snapped.

"I'm sure you have one." I said. She turned around to the group of jocks.

"Brendan!" She said. Brendan looked at her and waved. "There he is." I stared at her.

"You datin' Brendan O'Riley?" I asked.

"Obviously." She said. I smirked.

"You don't know what you're into." I said. She gave me a dirty look.

"Just go to your daddy and tell him that you're missing your pony, country girl." Lauren said with a baby voice. I was starting to get mad.

"Don't ever, talk, about my dad, ever. Unless you like a foot up your ass." I snapped angrily. She smiled.

"Oh, is your daddy dead?" She asked. I stared at her. "Your mama is probably dead too, maybe suicide. I mean, I would if your were my child." Lauren said. I put my head down, trying to hold in the tears. I felt Connie come up to me.

"Hey! Shut you damn mouth! She has gone though a hard life, okay? And you this it so damn funny to make fun of it, huh? What happened if you were in her shoes? You would probably not make it at all. Now go to your daddy and your mommy and cry to them you-you-piece of shit!" Connie screamed. I looked up. Well, that's new. I looked at Lauren. She was staring at Connie. Then, the bell rang. Lauren snapped out of her trance.

"Better go. Or you'll be late for class." Lauren said. Her group of friends laughed, then left. I looked at Connie.

"Woah, thanks." I said. She smiled.

"Anything for a friend."