Chapter 68

"What's keeping you?" I asked resting my head on his bare chest. His chin leaned against my head as I ran my fingertips over one of his tattoos. "What's keeping you in your family's gang?" I repeated after a few seconds of silence making him sigh as I looked up at him.

"I'm afraid of losing Sarah and Colton and Lucas. I knew from a very young age that anyone who did leave they were never talked about again among their family and I didn't want that. I knew that I would miss them, and I didn't want to put Sarah through that." Ethan answered softly making me drag my thumb softly across his chin. "What is it that you keep telling me?" I asked after a few moments looking into one another.

"To stop putting others before myself. To take charge of my life and put myself first for once." I replied making him smile softly before leaning into a kiss. "Maybe one day we can take charge of our lives together." He breathed against my lips before kissing me with a soft touch that quickly grew more passionate.

"I wish we could leave without having your family disown you. Will we ever catch a break?" I sigh as I laid back down on his chest making Ethan hold me against him. "Stop worrying." Ethan sighed before kissing my forehead as I drifted to sleep.

I woke up to an empty bed making me frown noticing how early it was. I ignored it as I got up and stretched my aching muscles. I walked downstairs to see Ian laying down watching tv making me smile.

"You're awake early." He said as I made my way into the room making me shrug. "Could say the same about you." I replied silently wondering why he is awake at six in the morning.

"Is everything okay?" Ian asked as I sat down beside him making me smile nervously. "Of course." I answered confused trying to avoid his eyes studying me intensely.

"What's going on with you and Ethan?" He continued making me frown finally looking up at him. "What do you mean?" I asked confused failing to apply another fake smile.

"Ethan left earlier slamming the door. I thought you two had an argument. Is everything alright?" Ian said making me frown further. "Yeah, everything's fine." I replied uneasily before the door opened to Lucas.

"Morning." He breathed shutting the door with his foot making me chuckle at the paper bag and a cup holder holding three coffee cups. "Since when do you buy us breakfast" I asked as I quickly sat up to help him. I looked inside the bags to see different kinds of bagels and doughnuts.

"I can't do a nice thing?" Lucas smiled as he threw off his coat making me chuckle. I knew his new happy attitude was because of last night making me smile brightly finally being able to see Lucas happy with Allison. "Not usually." Ian replied as we walked back into the living room and kitchen.

Ian sat up to quickly grab a coffee and doughnut making Lucas roll his eyes. "Is Allison the reason why you're not your usual brooding self?" I teased before taking a sip of my coffee. Lucas failed to fight his smile making me chuckle loving the fact that he is finally happy.

"We're moving in together. We have always wanted to but the fact that we couldn't be together was obviously in the way. We couldn't have anyone know I was with her. But now that doesn't matter thanks to you and Ethan yesterday." He said making me smile weakly knowing Ian was confused.

I scolded myself for not telling him as I heard him question us beside me.

"What happened yesterday?" He asked looking down at me for answers making me sigh. "Ethan and I visited his grandparents. They were the only one to help us and allow us to be together. Thankfully, it worked." I smiled the last part making him nod weakly.

"So, there won't be any more problems? You will finally be safe with him?" He asked sternly burning holes into me. I frowned not entirely sure. I knew the rule would allow us to be together but that won't stop people from separating us and using me to get to Ethan.

"Hopefully. We just have to take everything one step at a time until everything is resolved." I stated making him nod reluctantly. I knew Ian was hesitant with all this and struggled to understand and it didn't help that I kept things from him scared he would be afraid or get hurt because of it.

I'd gladly take all the beatings rivals and Ethan's family threw at us. Anything to prevent anyone around me from getting hurt. Especially Ian.

Once Ian left to go upstairs into his room my phone rang making me frown. I grabbed it as I saw Lucas sit down on the couch with his coffee and bagel. Caller ID said it was Ethan calling making me quickly answer it as I moved into the other room.

"Is everything alright?" I asked holding my phone to my ear. "My parents want to talk with us. Together. I'm sure my grandparents told them about what we did." He said making me frown looking over at Lucas watching tv.

"What do you think they want to talk about?" I asked nervously making him sigh. "I don't know. But they are insisting. I'll pick you up in a few minutes." He said making my lips part in shock. I ignored it trying to nod and pull myself together. "Okay." I mumbled before we said our goodbyes and hung up.

I quickly made it to my bedroom to get ready quickly. I threw on a pair of black skinny jeans and a loose oversized grey pullover sweater. I threw my messy dirty blonde hair in a ponytail not having any time to curl it nicely. Once I was finished, I got a text from Ethan telling me he was here.

"Where are you going?" Lucas asked quickly as he ate a doughnut making me smile lightly at the powdered sugar around his lips. "Ethan is here. His parents want to talk to us about what happened yesterday." I answered failing to hide my nerves as I slipped into my converse.

"Will you two be okay?" He asked knowing he was debating on coming with us making me shake my head. "It'll be fine. I'll see you two later. Be nice." I said the last part to Ian making him fight an amused smile as he rolled his eyes.

I quickly made my way to Ethan's car as soft snow came down onto me. The sun shinned bright making the snow have a heavenly glow to it making me smile before sliding into his car.

"What do you think they have to say to us?" I asked as I buckled my seatbelt making him tilt my chin up to look at him. I smiled softly through my confused features as I saw him looking down at me with his familiar grin I loved so much. "Good morning." Ethan said pushing a strand of hair that escaped my ponytail behind my ear.

He leaned in giving me a soft kiss making me smile against his lips. "I missed waking up next to you." I confessed making him look down at me. "I'm sorry. Something came up at work." He said making me nod before we pulled away for him to start driving.

"I hope this goes well. I can't take anymore fighting and arguments." I sighed looking over at him making him nod weakly before looking back onto the road. I turned my head facing the passenger window watching everything pass.

.

hey everyone! i hope you all are liking the story and feel free to check out my others!

-mabel