Chapter 66

"What are they like?" I asked as Colton pumped gas making me walk around to stretch my legs. "His grandparents?" He replied making me nod as he scoffed lightly.

"His grandfather is ruthless. They haven't seen Ethan nor Sarah since they were young. Even then it was never great when they were around from what I remember. Ethan's grandmother had a health scare a few years ago and ever since she hasn't been involved with the business part if our family." Colton explained making me hum nervously in reply as he finished getting gas.

"I'm sorry for separating you and Daniel. I seem to be doing a lot of that lately." I stated weakly as we continued to drive in comfortable silence with the radio softly playing. "He understands." He assured making me nod weakly before looking out the window.

"Do you have a plan?" He asked after a few minutes of silence making me stop tapping my fingers a long to 'The Smiths'. "Yes. A very weak one." I answered noticing the sun was starting to set making me sigh.

This has been the longest Ethan and I have spent away from one another in a while. I hated how much my body missed him as a cold breeze from the rolled down windows ran through me. I looked down at my palm staring down remembering how his hand felt in mine. His hair between my fingers as he slept on my chest. My palm meeting his warm gentle features I missed so much.

I ignored the tears prickling in my eyes as I cleared my throat. "You can sleep. We won't be there until later in the morning." Colton said noticing how tired I slowly became. "Are you sure? Who will keep you up?" I smiled softly making him chuckle.

"I hardly ever sleep in normal circumstances. I'll be fine." He stated making me nod weakly before turning around in my seat to grab my blanket I had brought. I wrapped it around me as I heard Colton roll his window up. My mind filled with warmth smelling Ethan's familiar sent on my blanket making a tear slide down my face before drifting to sleep to the sound of the radio.

"Have you come to harass me again?" I asked before looking over at Ian hesitantly worried for what he'd think about me talking to the new guy. "I'll stop once you tell me the truth." Ethan replied as he took a drag of a cigarette making me roll her eyes before walking in front of him to open my car door.

"Do you know him?" Ian asked me to make me scoff lightly as I tossed my bag in the back seat. "No. We ran into each other after work." I answered honestly worried Ian would tell if I had lied.

After a few seconds Ian sat in the passenger seat before he shut his door. "What do you want?" I whisper yelled not wanting him to hear me upset with him. "I already told you." He replied before taking another drag.

"And I already told you the truth." I lied making him chuckle lightly as he leaned off my car door. "You actually didn't tell me anything." He stated matter-of-factly making me fill with worry and annoyance.

"I don't have to. I don't even know your name so why I should tell you anything about my life?" I asked sternly making his features soften before I masking it. "Ethan." He answered as he exhaled smoke making me frown at it blowing in my face. "What?" I asked annoyed making him roll his eyes.

"My name is Ethan."

I woke up to the sun beaming in my eyes making me yawn. I stretched my aching limbs from being in such an uncomfortable position. "You hungry?" Colton asked making me nod lightly feeling the rumbling in my stomach.

"Where are we?" I asked looking around at all the tall concrete building and billboards around us as we drove on an unfamiliar highway. "L.A. After we eat, we get can get a hotel room and wash up before meeting them." He stated making me look at what time it was.

"Has Ethan called?" I asked remembering my dream of the day I met Ethan. "Yes. Daniel called to say he told Ethan I was with you." He explained making me nod weakly not wanting to know any more afraid to know how angry he is.

"Are you worried? Or nervous?" I asked making him look over at me with a small smirk. "Of what?" Colton asked making me frown. "For what his grandparents will say or do. What Ethan will say or do when we get back." I answered making him shrug weakly.

"No, not really. I've delt with them my whole life. I'm more worried for what they will think and say to you." Colton confessed making me fill with even more nerves. "But it'll be fine. I have friends here that will help." He continued making me nod hesitantly as he pulled up to a diner.

"What should I be expecting?" I asked as we ate our breakfast making him shrug as he drank his coffee. "They are like Ethan's parents. More like Cynthia. When I made the appointment, I said we were looking for jobs, so they won't be expecting you. When we get there, we will tell them everything." Colton explained making me look up at him.

"Thank you." I breathed ignoring the sadness in my voice making him frown. "For what?" He asked making me scoff slightly amused.

"For helping me. You didn't have to, yet you did so thank you. I don't know what I would've done if you hadn't agreed." I confessed as we ate making him look away. "I just want this to be over with. I had a life before you started messing everything up." Colton stated before taking a bite of his eggs making me smile down at my plate.

"What do you think Ethan will do?" I asked nervously as we continued to drive through the loud, busy traffic of Los Angles. "Try to find us. He will be notified after we meet with his grandparents since they will probably want to interrogate him asking about who you are. So, it won't take long after for him to follow us here." Colton explained making me fill even more with nerves.

"Do you think I am doing a good thing by not telling him where we are going?" I asked hesitantly looking over at him stopped at a red light. "Yes. He never would've let you come let alone by yourself. He would've done it himself with Lucas or me with him. Ethan wants you nothing to do with this part of his life or his family." He answered making me snap my head over to him as he began to drive.

"What? What do you mean?" I breathed confused making him shrug nonchalantly. "He knows you're involved enough as it is. People have hurt you and put your life in danger because of what we are involved in. The last thing he wants you to do is take initiative in the relationship by meeting more of his family." Colton said as he drove onto a less crowded street making me realize how close we were to our destination.

"He wants you as far away from it all as possible."