Chapter 5

"Why do you need twenty dollars?" I asked ignoring his question making him continue to walk in the kitchen to grab a soda from the fridge.

"To buy stuff." He answered in a duh tone making me roll my eyes before I walked over to my book bag. I took out a twenty-dollar bill before I handed it to him.

"I'll see you later." Ian said before he left the house making me sigh as I walked over to Ethan again. "Does he always do that?" He asked making me shrug lightly.

"Sometimes." I answered making him hum in response as he finished eating the other half of my sandwich he stole. "He isn't as cold as he seems." I continued feeling like I should defend him making him nod lightly.

"Why don't you have any friends?" Ethan asked making me frown. "Why don't you?" I replied making him chuckle as I leaned my elbows forward on the counter.

"I do." He replied making shrug lightly. "I don't need friends." I answered as he looked at me intensely making my heartbeat faster.

"Why?" Ethan asked again making me advert my eyes from his. "The ones I had didn't treat me that great. I'm fine being alone." I answered honestly as I stood straight against the counter.

"We should probably leave. Should I change?" I asked him wanting to change the subject. "You don't have to." He replied with an amused smile as he stood up from the bar stool.

"What happened with your friends?" Ethan asked as he drove us to the party. "They didn't understand my depression." I answered without thinking making me look up at him away from the passenger window.

"Sorry. I don't know why I said that." I mumbled under my breath making him look down at me as I avoided his gaze. "You don't have to apologize." He replied making me rake my fingers through my hair.

Thankfully it only took a few more minutes before Ethan pulled up to the house. Cars flooded the side of the street as a few people talked in the front yard.

"I'll drive if you want to drink." I said to him as we walked in the house full of people yelling and dancing to the loud music. "I don't drink." He stated making me look up at him confused.

I decided against asking why as I saw his face trying to mask his emotions. "Mia!" A girl beamed making me turn my head away from Ethan. I saw ir was Rebecca making me smile.

"I thought you didn't have friends." He stated next to me full of amusement making me roll my eyes. "We just talk during class sometimes." I explained as she made her way over to us.

"What are you doing here? I thought you don't like to party." Rebecca asked making me shrug lightly. "He kidnapped me." I joked making her look up at Ethan hesitantly.

She was about to reply when someone called for her. "I'll see you later!" She beamed before she walked over to her friends. "Why did I let you talk me into this?" I asked wishing I was at home in bed instead of judging all the drunk teenagers before me.

"You need to unwind." Ethan yelled over the music as I followed him in the kitchen. "No, thanks." I said as he handed me a red cup full of beer.

"Just take it. You might change your mind." He said before I hesitantly did as I was told. "What are you doing here?" Ian slurred behind me making me turn around.

"Thought I would embrace the teenage culture for tonight." I joked as I frowned up at him. "How long have you been here?" I asked him making him roll his eyes harshly.

"Why do you want to be friends with my sister? She isn't exactly your type-" He started as he stepped past me towards Ethan. I stepped in between them as I held his chest. "Ian, stop." I interrupted as I took his cup of beer away from him.