Chapter 20

I was about to reply when the bell rang making me jump in surprise as everyone hurried out the door. As I walked down the hall Colton walked beside me making me grow annoyed by the second.

"Why are you at my school?" I asked him not looking over as we continued walking. "I just missed your quick wit so much." Colton replied sarcastically making me roll my eyes.

"I'm not involved in Ethan anymore if that's the problem." I replied ignoring the feeling in my chest before he spoke. "Trouble in paradise?" He teased making me frown in annoyance as we walked in the cafeteria.

"Getting lied to got old." I answered making him go silent as I saw him staring behind me. I instantly knew it was Ethan making me walk away from Colton. I should have just stayed home.

"Amelia." Ethan said from behind before he grabbed my arm. I stopped walking and looked up at him with anger. "What?" I spit under my breath not wanting the people eating around us to notice.

"I never lied to you. Please just listen to me." He pleaded making me scoff as I pulled my arm from his grasp. "You 'never lied'? So, you didn't promise you wouldn't tell anyone that night?" I replied making his lips part to speak before I continued.

"I told you something that I have never told anyone. I thought for some unknown reason that I could trust you! You shared almost nothing about you yet I still trusted you. I told you my parent's d-" I yelled before he cut me off. "Amelia." Ethan stated making me realize I almost just told the whole school also.

I looked around the hall realizing everyone was staring before Ethan pulled me into an empty clsssroom before he began. "You can trust Lucas and my family, Amelia. They won't tell anyone." He replied making me look up at his pleading eyes that held so much emotion.

I shrugged off the feelings it gave as I spoke. "I don't even know them. I don't know Lucas. And I don't even know you. So, why on Earth should I listen to what you have to say?" I asked before I scoffed as I started to walk away before he grabbed my hand.

"Then get to know me." Ethan said sternly as he burned his brown eyes into mine. "That's all I have been trying to do." I started as I pulled my hand from his grasp harshly.

"This whole month I have asked you questions that you would reply with lies or nothing at all. I never cared but now I do, Ethan. You can't just decide for me to get to know you when it's convenient for you." I replied as his features morphed to sadness and guilt to frustration.

"Right, and you were so forthcoming." He scoffed as I started walking away again making me stop to turn around. "What?" I asked making him scoff coldly. A chill ran down my spine not used to seeing this side of him as he stepped towards me.

"Ever since we met right over there you were rude and distant." Ethan stated as he motioned to my locker. "The night I saved you, you were still rude and distant despite me saving your life. You closed everyone off. Including Ian. You never wanted to make friends because you know deep down you aren't 'friend material'. You spend all your time home or at work which you blame on for not having any friends. You're rude and distant to everyone you meet. I had to annoy you into being my friend and going out with me." He explained coldly making me frown as I looked away from him. Ethan was about to continue when I cut him off.

"You're right." I replied looking up at his brown eyes staring down at me. He frowned in confusion making me continue. "You're right. I am rude. I am distant. You did have to annoy me for me to want to be your friend. But you're wrong about one thing." I repeated sternly eyes full of tears as he hung on my every word.

"I don't blame it on why I don't have friends. I am not this way because I don't want friends or blame working for not having any. I know why I don't have any." I said as I looked up at his swirling brown eyes that held so much sadness and confusion.