Chapter 70

"The school year is almost over." Ethan stated against my skin as he softly kissed my neck. I smiled up at the ceiling as my fingers aimlessly ran through his soft light brown hair. The warm sunlight illuminated the cold bedroom as we laid in bed.

"Is it?" I breathed loving his touch making him chuckle against me. My stomach filled with butterflies at his deep laugh. "Imagine we find a quiet town. Where no one knows us. Where we can truly be ourselves without worrying about my family. We are just normal... law abiding civilians." Ethan said through his kisses against my color bones and jawline making me close my eyes.

"I want to start a life with you." He confessed breathless making my heart swoon as I felt him run his thumb softly across my jaw before kissing it again. I opened my eyes as he pulled away making our eyes meet. I raised my hand putting it behind his neck before our lips finally connected in a passionate kiss.

"Then let's start one." I breathed as we pulled apart making him smile before kissing me again softer than before.

Ian and I were driving to school after Ethan told me he had a few more last things to do at his work. Lucas was sitting in the back seat on his phone annoyed that I would not let him drive.

"People are going to wonder where you've been." Ian said as we started walking towards the busy crowds of people. "It's only been a few weeks." I mumbled making him chuckle. "That's a long time for someone who is never late to school let alone absent." He replied making me roll my eyes as I opened my locker.

"It's none of their business." I groaned until I heard someone calling my name down the hall. "Amelia!" Rebecca beamed making me smile weakly as she walked up to the three of us.

"Where have you been?" She asked as she gave me a tight hug making me smile. "I'm sorry I was sick." I replied not really answering her question. "Oh, I'm glad to hear you are feeling better then. Where's Ethan?" Rebecca smiled making me apply a fake one hating how much I have been lying to everyone around me.

"He is at work." I answered not technically lying making her hum in reply. "That's a shame. Tomorrow's Valentine's Day are you two going to do anything?" She smiled brightly making my lips part slightly in realization.

"Oh, uh, I don't know. Maybe?" I answered hesitantly silently scolding myself as I saw her frown softly. "Rick and I are going to see a movie before our date if you two want to come. It can be like a double date! You and Lily can come too." She smiled at Ian and I making me smile at her kindness.

"Thank you but I wouldn't want to impose on your guys' date." I replied as I grabbed my books from my locker. "You wouldn't impose!" Rebecca smiled making me chuckle. "I'll tell Ethan." I said making her smile brightly. "Great! I'll see you in class." Rebecca said as the bell rang and walking away towards her friends.

"Never thought I'd see the day Ethan would go on a double date." Lucas teased making me chuckle knowing he was right. Ethan would find the whole thing annoying making me smile softly as I scoffed knowing I would have to come up with an explanation for us not to go with them.

"How are you and Lily?" I asked as we all ate lunch in the loud and crowded cafeteria. "Good. I'm going over her house this weekend." He smiled as he ate his macaroni and cheese.

"Are you two doing anything for Valentine's Day?" I asked making me shrug lightly. "Maybe just go to dinner." He answered making me smile softly before seeing Lily walk up to our table.

"Hi, Amelia." She smiled brightly before giving Ian a quick kiss on the cheek. "Hey. Ian was just telling me all the fun thing you two are going to do tomorrow." I teased making Ian roll his eyes fighting a smile as Lily lit up in excitement.

"Really? He hasn't told me anything. I think he is keeping it a surprise." She smiled as she began to eat making Lucas and me chuckle. "What are you and Ethan going to do?" Lily asked as she ate her sandwich making me shrug.

"Not sure yet. We might just stay in this year it's too cold to do anything." I groaned silently hating our harsh snowy winters. Lily just smiled and chuckled softly. "Do you have anything planned for Allison?" I asked Lucas beside me making him nod.

"I'm taking her out to dinner after we go to the town fair. This town really goes all out for every holiday, huh?" He chuckled making Lily and I smile knowing he was right. The town fairs were the only thing to look forward to in this town.

"How long have you two been together?" Lily asked making him shrug nonchalantly. "About five years." He answered with a full mouth as he ate making me roll my eyes. "You need to put a ring on her before she finally comes to her senses and leaves you." I teased making Lily and Ian chuckle and Lucas fought his smile.

We were now on our way back home as I listened to the music on the radio to ease my rambling thoughts. 'illicit affairs by Taylor Swift' played softly as soft snow falling softly from the foggy sky. When I came to a stop light, I looked around and noticed the town council decorating the town fair with beautiful red, pink, and gold decorations. The snow made everything even more beautiful making me smile softly before driving away.

"Where's Ethan?" I frowned asking Lucas as I walked into a dark empty home. "He told me he had to work his last day today. But he should be back by now." He answered confused pulling out his phone to call him making me hum in reply.

"I'm going to make dinner soon. Are you hungry now?" I asked him as he sat at the couch to watch tv. "Yeah. I can help." He said sitting up following me into the kitchen.

"You still haven't taught me how you make your infamous casserole." Ian said making me chuckle as I took the ingredients from the fridge. "You were serious?" I smiled but before he could reply Lucas spoke coming into our view.

"Ethan isn't answering me. I need to go make sure he is alright. Colton is on his way." Lucas said making me frown and instantly fill with worry. My lips parted to speak but he interrupted gabbing his coat to leave. "I'm sure his phone just died or something. We'll be back soon." He comforted making me nod hesitantly before I heard him leave.

Ethan's POV

"What do you mean this is your last day?" Maggie, one of my coworker friends asked me as we took inventory. "I have an agreement with my parents. I'm leaving this all to be with Amelia." I answered not looking up at her as I continued my job.

"Amelia. Is that her name?" Maggie smiled making me nod softly trying to fight my smile. "And they are letting you leave for her?" She asked making me sigh looking up at her.

"It wasn't easy. It took a lot of convincing and fighting but she has reluctantly agreed." I said before putting the bags of drugs in the boxes. "Then what are you going to do?" She asked making me shrug.

"Move somewhere quiet after she graduates." I answered making her hum in reply. "Do you really think they will let you go willingly? That they won't follow you?" Maggie asked making me sigh.

"I don't know. And I don't really care at this p-" I began until I saw her quickly pull out a gun from her back waistband. "Maggie. What the hell-" I began as I lifted my arms up in surrender before I heard the gun go off.