Chapter 23- 'To Somewhere Only He Knows'

┏━━━━━━༻❁༺━━━━━━┓
Ian Kingsley
┗━━━━━━༻❁༺━━━━━━┛

She was broken.

I could not help but throw my arms around her fragile body. I am still not sure about many things; but during all our time together, one thing I am totally sure about, is that I care for her. Yes, I may not always show it, but I have cared for her, and will always care for her. Afterall, she IS a part of my family now.

As much as I hated her father, as much as I wished for him to be dead... This was not what I meant, or wanted, or wished for. I know how much parents mean for children; no matter how much rude they could be, how much heartless, violent, manipulative; there is always that small part inside your heart, hoping. Hoping that they might still love you, hoping that they might change, hoping that they are still the same people whom you love.

So when I say I felt her in that hospital, crying, shaking, sobbing, breaking... I mean it. Eight years ago, I was there, in the same place as hers, looking at the person whom I called my father; shaking my head in disbelief, crying, sobbing, wondering, why me and my family?

But today is not about me, or him.

It's about the woman crying in my arms, shaking with fear, she has a pure heart. Maybe she didn't know about many things her father did for money, maybe she did not realise that nothing else mattered for him, maybe she thought her father could change, maybe, just maybe, there was a hope for her, for him.

But now?

"Shh, I am here." I whispered slightly as if to remind her that I was there. I frowned while no answer came out from her mouth, no voice of sobbing was heard, no shaking...

What happened?

"Amy?" I called out to her but once that there was no answer, I slightly adjusted myself to take a look on her face, but when I did, I became more concerned for her as she stared at the wall, no emotions displayed in those brown eyes of hers, her whole face vacant of any kind of emotion, she looked just like me, when I finally was able to accept the fact that he was never going to come back.

"Why me?" She spoke in a voice that could barely be called a whisper. I sighed and without thinking one more time, held out my hand as her gaze went from my outstretched hand to my face. "Come with me." I stared at her as her tired eyes opened and closed a couple of times before speaking, "Where?"

As much as I wanted to use that corny dialogue 'Trust me' I know how cringe it is for me, so instead I spoke, "Just take my hand, I am not going to murder you, I promise." Her lips turned into a smile that did not quite reach her eyes, but I promised to myself, I will make her smile by the end of the night.

Sighing, she grabbed my hands as I stared down at our enjoined hands, how small her hand looked in comparison to mine, how soft her hands were. Taking her on her feet, we both left the dark room and towards my car, to a place only I know.

.

.

.

We were on a very long drive, leaving the whole hustle-bustle and noises of the New York City behind, and through some never-ending lonely roads, towards peace.

As the words around us slept, we cruised through the empty roads, I snuck glances at Amy as I drove...

The light of the dashboard lit up her face, casting shadows across the highlights of her face, her gentle cheekbones, soft lips and a perfect creation.

Sensing my gaze, her eyes flicked over to me, and then, she flashed me a small smile. A part of it, yeah, but we are getting over there.

The rest of the drive went into silence as I pulled over to a overlook by the beach.