CHAPTER 28 - Game of Truth

"huhhh? Why are you hiding?" Mereoleona picked you up on your head with her flame like claws. You laughed nervously and sweat dropped.

"Hiding? W-what makes you say I'm hiding?" You stuttered and cursed yourself from doing so.

"Fuegoleon has been looking for you, hasn't he?" She asked you and your clenched your teeth.

"I thought we were playing hide and seek?" You made an excuse which made her look at you questioningly.

"That's no fair. You two would always play even before when we were children" she exclaimed.

"Then let's play-?" You said questioning yourself aswell.

"Ehhh...? Are you sure about that?" She taunted as you gulped. What have you gotten yourself into.

"Not reall-" you were about to say until she cut your words off.

"Great! Let's start telling the truth. No lies or there will be punishment" she crossed her arms. You pursed your lips straight knowing that you can't lie to Mereoleona since she can tell if you were truly lying or not.

"What do you want to know?" You asked her for starters. She began to close her eyes and think for questions.

"Can you control your power?" She asked without any hesitations at all.

"No. I cannot" you simply answered

"Do you want to control it?" You raised your brows at her question and nodded.

"Ofcourse I do" you replied

"Do you love my brother?" She questioned which made you squint.

"Which one?" You asked her as she laughed.

"Fuegoleon. I know you love Leopold since you adore children" she remarked and you sighed.

"I don't. I can't" you said.

"And that is ... Why?" She looked at you strictly as if she was a wild lion, ready to catch her pray if you did something wrong.

"A curse.." you briefly said.

"Fuegoleon can fight death-" she said but you were sick of those words. It's inevitable and besides the curse was reversed.

He would lose the game of love either way since you'll die if he loves you to the full extent. If he did decide to not love you because of the curse then it's also game over.

"-But I can't and I'm sure he wouldn't be able to cope with it" you blurted out.

"What are you saying?" She interrogated you again. You took a deep breath and exhaled, preparing yourself to explain.

"I trust that you won't say this to others..." You trailed off as she anticipated your reply.

"I accidentally reversed the curse. If he loves me too much then I'll die and I know he couldn't take it if I would die. Mostly, if he was the reason of my death" you explained briefly.

"I see... So you were hiding because?"

"To prevent him from spending anymore time with me" you finished. She then put you down and you closed your eyes in relief that it was atleast out of your chest.

"You can come out now, Fuegoleon" you heard Mereoleona shout. Your eyes snapped opened and saw your captain with an expression you can't decipher.

Mereoleona left you with her brother and you stood there, not moving a single inch. He just looked at you as if he was blaming himself and that expression... you hate it.

"Stop it" you said as he got slightly taken aback.

"Stop looking like you're blaming yourself. It doesn't suit you, Captain" you said and he looked at you with sorry eyes.

"I was being selfish, wasn't I?" He asked himself and you went up to him to punch him lightly. "No, you weren't. I was just reckless" you smiled bitterly.

"Fuegoleon... I can't escape this so do me a favour" you said as he signalled you to continue.

"Please teach me to love you back. I'd rather have happy memories than sad ones when I do die" you told the man.

"Don't say that. That's not going to happen." he said in absolute. You laughed at him knowing that it's never going to happen.

"Right... I'm not allowed to have a happy ending" you said when you stopped laughing stupidly infront of the man who claimed to love you.

"You know very well that that's not what I'm referring to" he said getting angered but it wasn't directed towards you, it's directed towards himself. He was angry at himself ignoring your vulnerability to death.

"Right... I apologize, Captain" you bowed as a habit, preparing to leave. You were planning to leave Clover Kingdom and become a rogue wanderer.

"What does your heart desire?" He asked as you looked at him, puzzled.

"My heart..?" You asked.

"Tell me" he said almost pleadingly.

Your heart began to pound louder and faster. The rest of your body might have forgotten but your heart would always remember.

You love Fuegoleon and that's what your heart desires. You want to have your happily ever after with him. You want to break free from your own magic.

You felt the warmth of Fuegoleon's thumb wiping away your tears. You didn't even realize that you were frozen in place while tearing up.

"Let your heart speak, stop minding what would happen" you heard his calming yet authoritative voice whispered.

"If you wish for me to stop loving you then I'll do so" he continued and suddenly his warmth was gone. He was walking away from you without a single goodbye.

You knew that this is the last time you'll be with him at this range of closeness. You knew that it would all end here if you don't reach out to him.

You suddenly feel as if you were broken all over. You heart was shattering, everything was silent, and the only thing your hearing is your heart beating.

You suddenly became blind, all you were seeing is darkness and nothing more. You can't even see Fuegoleon anymore, you can't reach him. This is the end for your love, isn't it?

'Nothing. I am nothing. I have always been irrelevant and all I'm good for is following orders blindly like the servant you are' you thought.

'You even let the man you know you love from deep within your heart go' you continued to think.

You laughed at yourself while crying as if you're going mad. You closed your eyes and calmed down, you feel lifeless.

"I wish... I could just..." You trailed off, not noticing your grimoire activating.

"...Disappear..." You finished.

Fuegoleon was struggling to get you out of a dark barrier you've casted upon yourself. The wind forcefully circled within the area and the clouds became dark.

He can see a faint glow from inside as he heard your voice saying the words he least wanted to hear. He screamed your name loudly and in an instant, traces of your existence disappeared.

Everything cleared off but you weren't there anymore. He dropped down on his knees and clutched his hair. His teeth was clenched while feeling a warm liquid flowing down his cheeks.

"(Y/n).." he managed to mumble.