CHAPTER 2 - Crystal Tears

"Thankyou, (Y/n)" Fuegoleon thanked you when you helped him do his hair. You bowed that signalled him that you're saying "you're welcome".

"You'll do great in the Magic Knights Exams" you wrote to cheer him up as he gently smiled as a "thankyou". He remembered that you weren't able to participate in such things.

"You've mentioned before that it was you're dream to become a magic knight, correct?" He ask and you nodded. He stood up from the chair and faced you firmly.

"Once I've become the fully pledged captain. I'll take you in my squad. You may have not access your magic but you're intelligence is extraordinary"

"You'll do great as a commander. Afterall, you've beaten me quite a few times in a game of chess" he said and you pursed your lip into a thin line.

You wrote on your notebook that he had given to you five years ago, "I won't fail you" . Yes, you were now 15 and still kept the notebook. You treasured that notebook and instead of replacing it as a whole, you only replaced the paper in it.

"Off I go now, please rest yourself for today" he said and you bowed once more. He left the room and you followed afterwards. You saw the glistening white snow fall down from the sky.

It was snowing which was inconvenient to you at some point. You were out to train in the forest where you would watch Fuegoleon secretly train.

You wanted to train too. You wanted to become stronger so you wouldn't fail him if he did make you a commander of a squad. You've gain your grimoire not so long ago and that gave you hope that you still had access to your magic.

You tried to speak out words but you couldn't and it frustrated you. It's been a while since you've tried to speak and access your magic but you just cant.

You didn't give up there, you had to do something so you've trained your body to master swordsmanship. You silently sighed and picked up a stick as a makeshift sword.

•••

After hours of training, you sat on the rock. A strong emotion suddenly hit you and before you realized it, tears flowed down your face.

Consequently, Fuegoleon was out to find you but saw you in tears. He walked up to you with worry and called out your name. You realized his presence and wiped the tears away and bowed.

"A woman is allowed to feel emotions but I think that a woman should never cry" he said as you looked at him in the eyes.

"Your tears are equivalent to a rare gem so don't let them go quickly" he finished off as you looked down at the ground, reflecting the words he had said. He was a wise man and he doesn't fail to show it.

You heard a sneeze and looked up to the tall Vermillion. "Excuse me" he said as you silently giggled. This were the few moments where you actually showed pure happiness and he felt accomplished by seeing you smiling so freely.

You jotted on your notebook and showed it to him, "It's funny how you get cold when your main magic attribute is fire". He looked at you and chuckled.

"You're right. It's silly isn't it?" He said and you nodded enthusiastically. You blinked your eyes multiple times and noticed that the snow had grown pretty heavy.

You took Fuegoleon's hands and led him out of the forest in the fastest route. You realized that you've now become warmer than before and realized that Fuegoleon had used his magic on both of you.

You've arrived back at the Vermillion's household and wrote, "Would you like some tea?" . He let go of your hand and nodded. You realized that he held a small blush but disregarded it, thinking it was only because of the cold weather.

You came back with the tea and let the Vermillion rest on his room. You've decided to knit him a scarf so you got the materials and started.

A few hours has passed and you've finished knitting the scarf. In all honesty, Fuegoleon checked on you if you were still crying but saw you happily making a scarf so he let you be.

You've knocked on his door and there was no response. You opened it slightly and took a peek. To your surprise, no one was there. You've gently closed the door and looked for a certain Vermillion haired boy.

He was outside in the snow holding his hand so the snow can fall on it. You noticed his reddened ears and the mist he created when he breaths.

You sighed and wrapped the scarf around his neck. He was startled at first but realized that it was you, his loyal servant and his friend. He relaxed as he realized that this was the scarf you were happily knitting a while ago.

'It was for me...?' he asked in his head as he thanked you aloud for your kindness.

"You know that I would be in trouble le if you get sick, right?" You wrote and he read it and held and apologetic look.

"(Y/n)... Would you tell me why you were crying? You've done that for the past 5 years" he said and you sighed and wrote.

"Do you know the (L/n) clan?"

"Yes. The great clan who vanished out of existence" he said, remembering the historic event that happened 5 years before.

"I was a part of that clan. It's hard to be the only survivor" you showed him the page and he looked at you with surprise. It wasn't documented that there was a survivor, no one told anyone.

"How is it that your the only one that survived? This is great news isn't it?" He asked you with such little knowledge about your past and you grew cold once more.

'It's not a great news... I only survived because I was the one who killed them all' you thought, growing colder by the second. Of course you weren't going to tell him that, if you do then he might look at you in another perspective.

You suddenly felt warm, feeling a hand in your shoulder lightly pressing on it. You looked at the young lad infront of you as he spoke.

"You're guilty of something. It's evident in your eyes but that was the past, wasn't it? To dwell on past will not do you good. Focus on the present and future then you can see a difference" he said with that same leader like tone he has.

"I appreciate the scarf and I apologize that you inconveniently caught me here in the cold" he said and you both headed inside.

'Fuegoleon Vermillion. You truly are something else. I believe that Clover Kingdom will be safe with people like you' you thought as everyday you sent time with the wise young lad, you're eyes shine returns little by little.

They say that Kami-sama doesn't give the person you want...

Kami-sama gives you the person you need.

And that person is none other the future captain of the Crimson Lions