Chapter Ten: Let Them Come

(The Order: 1886: The Knight's Theme - Jason Graves.)
Fujin smiles when he hears the familiar crack of thunder that teleported Raiden, Hanzo, and Kuai here.
"It's about time you three showed up," the younger demigod sighs, facing away from them all.

"Where is (Y/n)?" Raiden asks.
"Asleep. Safe." He answers simply.
"Why did you take (him/her)?" Hanzo demands.
"(Y/n) had to come home, and so I could face you three here."
"We don't want to fight," Kuai states.
"No?" Fujin looks over his shoulder, right at Raiden.
"I want to talk," his brother pleads.

"Is that what this is? Talking?" Fujin repeats the same taunting response Raiden had told him so long ago. Raiden appears to remember this, judging by how he flinches back, a mild look of hurt in his eyes.

He turns around to face them fully now, arms crossed just below the Amulet. "If you've come to talk," Fujin begins, pacing, almost mocking them, "then why bring Sub-Zero and Scorpion? To try and intimidate me? If so, you've failed miserably." Fujin's tone is bitter now, the wind picking up to match his anger.

"No—!" Raiden stammers. "Fujin, just listen to us!"
"Listen?" Fujin's voice rises over the wind. "Like how you listened to me about taking care of (Y/n)?"
Both Kuai and Hanzo look nervous.

Raiden looks conflicted.
"I realize now that I messed up. Badly. I should have been in (Y/n)'s life more. I get it now."
"Do you?" Fujin challenges, hands at his sides now, balled into fists. The black and red cloak whiplashes like an angry tail.

"Yes!" Raiden is struggling to be heard over the wind. "I have been a terrible uncle these past five years. I don't want to lose you or (Y/n)!"
"You have no idea what loss is," Fujin spats, feeling tears build up behind his eyes.

"What do you mean?" Raiden asks, worried.
The look of sadness and outrage on Fujin's face is something the three men would never forget.
The wind dies down as quickly as it started.

Fujin turns away, letting the tears fall. "In my room, you'll find a journal on the bedside table. Read it. Read every entry I wrote down. It explains everything." With that, Fujin disappears in a tornado of leaves.

Raiden looks back at Hanzo and Kuai, worried and confused. "Let's go..."
They all enter the Sky Temple. While Kuai makes sure you're okay, Raiden goes into Fujin's room. His room still looks the same.
Same bookshelf in the corner, star maps pinned to the walls, neatly folded emerald green and sapphire blue blankets on his king sized bed.

He finds a simple leather bound journal. Fujin's slightly cursive handwriting gives Raiden an oddly nostalgic but depressing feeling in his chest.
Sighing, he sits in Fujin's bed and turns to the first page:

December 3rd,
The days and nights are blurring together for me. I understand that Raiden is the main defender of Earthrealm, but it gets lonely up here. What do I need, then? What have I always dreamed of having? I know what it is, but I know Raiden will not be happy with the answer.

Raiden blinks, looking at the date. This was written two years before Fujin brought you here as an infant. The older demigod keeps reading.

January 5th,
Words cannot describe how happy I am to write this all down. The fertilization was a success. I'll have to monitor the embryo closely now.

March 18th,
I lost the baby. I don't know what went wrong! Everything was going smoothly. What happened?! I saw their little heart give out suddenly during my weekly check up. T̶h̶e̶ ̶b̶a̶b̶y̶ ̶d̶i̶e̶d̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶m̶y̶ ̶h̶a̶n̶d̶s̶.̶
I screamed like I never have before, cursed out the Elder Gods, nearly wanting to smash the Hourglass into pieces. But I didn't. I cried. Cried until it felt like my heart would burst.
WHAT WENT WRONG?

Raiden reads the passage over and over. "That's what he meant...." he realizes.
The next passage was an incoherent mess, Fujin's writing all spiked and jagged. A mess of: I'm sorry. I can't tell Raiden. My heart aches. What if he finds out?
The paper being slightly wrinkled suggests Fujin was crying while writing it all down.

He keeps fanning through the pages, skimming over passages. The entries appear to get calmer over the next two years.

August 20th,
I've decided to name the embryo (Y/n), once I found out (his/her) gender. A sweet little baby (boy/girl).. (He/she) has already made it past the three month mark. I just hope things don't go wrong again.

He skips over the next few passages, landing on the date you were brought here.

February 23rd,
I cried when I got to hold little (Y/n) for the first time. (S)he's safe in my arms. That's all I've wanted. Raiden freaked out at first, but came to accept (Y/n) after I put my foot down.

The rest of the pages are shorter notes, mainly about raising you, the stress from lack of sleep, and recipes for types of baby formula that would work for you.

He's surprised to find the last page specifically has a note for him.
Raiden —
If/when you read this whole journal, it's probably because I asked you to. I don't know what to really say at this point...
I just wish you were in (Y/n)'s (and my) life more, okay? I get that you're busy and all, but I miss you. (Y/n) keeps asking where you are, and I keep saying you're working. I don't see a point in lying about that.
Come talk to me—bring this journal if you have to—you know where to find me.
All my love,

風神 Fujin

Raiden sighs slowly, closing the journal. He gets up, still holding it. He finds both Kuai and Hanzo in your room, watching you sleep.
"At least (s)he doesn't know what's really going on..." Kuai whispers.
Hanzo nods sadly.
"I found the journal," Raiden whispers back, holding it out to the two men. "Read it, please. You'll know why Fujin never came down to Earth."

Reluctantly, Hanzo grabs it. "Are you sure?" He whispers. Raiden nods. "What will you do?" Kuai asks.
"Find Fujin. I think I know where he went. I'll talk to him, now that I know what conflict goes on inside his heart. If (Y/n) wakes up, tell (him/her) the truth." Raiden looks over at you, then exits the room.