31 // To Catch a Deathstalker

Scarlemagne's flamingos had taken over the skies, and were relentlessly hunting for you all.

Wolf had the map that Cappuccino had drawn for you, and you were all in a car. "The fastest way to your parents' old burrow is through there," she pointed a hand to the concealed area in front of you. "Deathstalker territory." Wolf averted her eyes. "Deathstalkers don't track you by sight or smell, they track you through your heartbeats. If your heart races, you're as good as dinner."

Kipo shrunk in the driver's seat. "Got it.." She mumbled. From the back seat, you patted Kipo's shoulder and smiled comfortingly at her.

"Okay, the area's clear. Let's go." Wolf said, and you all rushed out of the car and behind a tall piece of debris. Flamingos searched the area, but failed to spot you all.

"We could go through the mountains," said Wolf. "We'd be safer. But it'd take a couple days."

Kipo furrowed her eyebrows. "We don't have a couple of days! You heard that Noble! Scarlemagne is forcing all the mutes in the city to accept him as their emperor at the coronation next week! Who do you think he's going to use to fight the ones that resist?!" Kipo whisper-yelled.

"Bears." Dave dumbly answered.

"No!" Kipo groaned. "My people! We have to get to my parents' burrow as fast as we can so I can figure out who I am, find an anchor, turn into a Mega Jaguar, and save everyone before that coronation!" She inhaled after saying that all at once.

"That's an awful lot of stress," you commented, before squeezing her hand. "We're literally just 13."

Kipo winced, looking down. "I'm not a normal 13 year old, though."

You sighed, before brushing your thumb over her hand. "Well, you're not alone, okay?" She beamed a bit, before her face resumed to one of stoicness.

"Come on," she said, gesturing for everyone to follow her into a small store. It was safe, and dark.

It seemed like a party store. Party hats were strung loosely across the floor and shelves, and piñatas hung from the ceiling. Just as the surface had done to any building, overgrowth had crept its way into the place.

"We have to lose those flamingos." Kipo muttered.

"She's right, we need a diversion."

Dave's eyes searched the room, before staring at Benson and smirking. "I know what you're thinking. Teacup-Chop-Chop or Scoot-n-Shoot?"

"No, we need something bigger." Benson's eyes flickered across the room, before spotting a large metallic tin of.. well.. highly flammable stuff. Arson. "The Flaming Phantom!" Dave made a noise of agreement.

You were all confused at the two boys.

"Uh, what in the world are you guys talking about?" Asked Kipo.

Benson stood up. "We split up," he said. "Dave and I create a diversion to distract these flamingos. You get through Deathstalker territory."

"We'll catch up with you later," Dave said.

Kipo bit her lip. "I'm not sure about this."

"Don't worry!" Dave assured. "Benson and I have lived through some bad things."

Wolf looked at you and Kipo. "They're right. It'll be impossible to calm down while being chased by scorpions and flamingos. Splitting up is the fastest way that doesn't definitely get us all killed."

Kipo thought, unconsciously taking your hand. You slightly jolted up at the movement, staring at your intertwined hands. She hadn't noticed. Your heart was pumping at the speed of sound, and butterflies fluttered around in your stomach.