36 // Fun Gus, Part Four

"YOU GUYS TRIED TO TRICK ME! Now I'm tricking YOU! See how you like it!"

You stepped out of the way as an orange vine was whipped towards you, but had no more time to act as other fungi ropes tried to attack you and Kipo.

Kipo, searching for a way out, dropped her notebook (which luckily you caught), instinctively picked you up bridal style, cushioning the back of your knees with one arm and holding your back with another. You would've turned into a tomato if not for the life-or-death situation at hand.

With jaguar-like strength, she leaped out of the way, evading Fun Gus's attacks while you squeezed your eyes shut in her arms.

The game of cat-and-mouse (which was ironic, because she was technically half-cat) continued for what felt like forever; Fun Gus would send fungus after Kipo, and she would dodge it. You practically turned into a ball in her hold, making yourself more and more compact in fear that he would grab your legs and you'd both be done for.

Fun Gus's attacks got sloppier and sloppier as he got angrier, but they grew in power.

"RAAAAAAAAAGH!!! YOU'RE CHEATING!!!" 

At one point, your breath hitched. You opened your eyes and saw that it was raining fungus. Like toothpicks, they jabbed the ground in hopes of catching Kipo and you at some point.

You could tell Kipo was getting tired; she made one last jump, and luckily landed next to the door of her parents' old burrow house.

She set you down and you both ran in at the speed of light.

It took her a minute to catch her breath, and you peeked out of the broken-down door every few seconds to make sure that the inhuman boy didn't spot you two. You looked at the notebook you clutched in your hands, and an uncomfortable feeling returned to you.

"Not just a weapon, huh..?" You said to yourself, furrowing your eyebrows.

"..What do you mean?" Kipo asked. Oh no.

"Nothing," you said, giving her an unnerved smile.

"No.. what do you mean, Pola- (Y/N)?" It kind of broke your heart when she switched her nickname for you to your real name.

You knew that if you didn't tell her about it, she would stay awake at night thinking about what you'd said.

"I-I was just thinking.. about your parents.." You trailed off, handing the book to her like it was some kind of disease. "I was wondering.."

"..if I was created to be a weapon?" Kipo asked, her mind having quickly filled in the gaps. Sometimes her giant brain was an absolute pain in the behind.

You averted your eyes from her, sheepishly rubbing your arm.

"I don't know what you're talking about," she said in a tone that was cold; a tone you rarely heard. "Mom and Dad.. they really love me."

You thought back to the past.

-

You and Kipo were young, maybe around 7 years old.

You stood near your best friend in the Oaks' household, watching nervously as Kipo's father bandaged her fingers. The girl had injured her hands from playing guitar too much. She had ranted to you multiple times about how she "had to get better at the guitar so she could play with her dad and you could sing with that beautiful voice of yours".

"I'm sorry, Dad," Kipo said, watching as her father took out another dinosaur band-aid. This one was green and had a triceratops on it. "I just really wanted to play with you."