Happy

I wasn't sure what to prepare myself for as Chibs and I pulled up to my ex mother in laws house Chibs didn't get much information from Maria when she called it was a simple 'Bill passed away about three hours ago and I need help with Ruth'  as we park I see her family look at me some smile happy to see me and I return the smile some give me dirty looks that I shrug off I'm met in the front doorway by Maria who has sad but kind eyes "Happy I wasn't expecting you" she says pulling me in for a hug before she releases me she softly whispers "are you here to claim your girl back? She deserves better" I let her deserving comment go for bow at least as I pull away I smile down at her as she turns to hug Chibs who she cries to for a few moments once she pulls away she slightly smiles back at me "well I asked a question I expect an answer" I chuckle at her forwardness "ma sorry about Bill I know he was sick and in pain though and Unfortunately I'm not here to get anything back she chose him over me remember? Where is Ruth and Jason anyway I haven't heard his big mouth yet?" She looks to the ground "Jason is Lord only knows where and with whom no one could get a hold of him and once we did he told Ruth to and I quote 'quit being a baby' and Ruth well thats kinda why I called Chibs...". We follow her into the house and we soon here "ma'am we need to take his body now you have to let us" we round the corner to the living room to see Ruth clinging to her step father's lifeless body for dear life sobbing. Chibs reaches for her sholder "comon love ya gotta let 'im go" but as soon as he makes contact she swings at him and he backs off just in time to miss the black eye and makes eye contact with me next to me the corner says "ma'am I'm gonna have to call the cops if you don't realease this man's body to me "that won' be needed" Chibs said as I sat down on the bed next to Ruth "will you give us a minute?" The corner huffs at me "sir I really need to get-" I glare at him "you'll get the body just give us a god damn minute" he straightens and runs off. I look at the broken love of my life as she clings to the man who raised her "I'm gonna torch you...do. Not. Swing. At me." I see her nod then put my hand on her sholder "you know you have to let him go right?" I feel her shake "Happy I can't " she sighs "I wasn't here...mom was asleep on the couch and I was gone. He was alone...i should have stayed and I won't leave him again" she pushes my hand away and cuddles up to Bill I hear her whisper to him "I'm so sorry dad I won't let it happen again". I sigh as I feel a tap on sholder "lad we need ta get 'er off 'im or tha cops are gonna be involved" I sigh and kneel next to the bed "Ruth look at me" I command wich she complys to "you need to let him go so your choice is the easy way or hard way" she rolls her eyes and snuggles back in. I shake my head and grab her around her torso while Chibs pries her hands of Bill she starts sobing and cicking and swinging to try and get released. I pull her out of the room and block her into the hall way as she continues to beat on my chest I let her for a couple of minutes before I grab her wrists in mine and pull her close looking in her eyes "this is not your fault he may have been alone but he knew you loved him and he would not want you to feel nor act this way so stop" I watch her then nod and begin to sob as her knees buckle and I catch her and take her to the guest room where I sit her in my lap until she falls asleep I lay her in the bed and step out of the room. "Thank you Happy and Chibs I didn't think she would take it this hard" I nod silently and Chibs asks the question of the night "so...where es the spouse o tha year" she chuckles a humorless sound "with one of his side pieces" her answer hits my heart that he's there instead of here "wha' ya mean side piece how long that been happening?" She shakes her head and I know the answer already because I look after her about a week after she chose him he started cheating and she knew but knowing her she thinks she deserves it. I leave them to talk as I walk back to check on Ru I see she's awake and looking at the door when I come in "you think I'm pathetic don't you?" I shake my head as she pats the bed beside her "no I think your hurt by your own head and scared of what you're going to do now that your dad isn't here to protect you. But not pathetic" she leans on me but doesn't toutch other then that. I look down at her and kiss her head "I think the fact that your husband isn't here is pathetic though" I notice her roll her lips and look away and bring her finger up to her mouth to chew her nails somthing she does when she's abput to lie "yeah he's just got other stuff going on" I pull on her hand and hold it away from her mouth "that's cute you wanna try again" she shakes her head and rolls her eyes "ex" she said it so softly I almost didn't hear it "what?" She sighs "ex husband...as in I not only failed one marriage but two so no Happy I really don't have anyone to protect me any more" she rolls over away from me to stare at the wall I stare at her ceiling "our marriage didn't fail Ru we were fine we loved each other and trusted and comunicated the only thing that happened to our marriage was when you got pregnant you let you phycottic aunts get in your head so you left convinced he could treat you to a better family life" I reply dryly "I know...then I figured after I miscarried you would hold it against me so I just stayed" I pull her to me "never Ru I wish we could have tried again though" she chuckled as I smiled "does ma not know?" She cringed "no just what I need is to disappoint her even more. God she loved you Hap...i loved you. And then I threw you away for a business man with a who're habit which I endured thinking I could fix him...all for nothing." She burried her face in my chest "I knew" She peaks at me confused "I know he cheated I saw him at the club once with one of the hang arounds he reaked of her cheap perfume I gave him a black eye told him to get lost before I skind him" I can't help the grin I get on my face "then Chibs beat the shit out of him for hurting his adopted daughter" she snickers. "Do you still love me Ruth" I looked her eyes and saw the obvious yes they screamed but then she spoke "I can't do that to you again Hap...I won't..." She bites her lip and looks away when she turns back to me I see she's thrown a wall up "hey look thank you for coming I'm sure ma asked for it but you should head out its getting late" I grab her face in my hands "don't do that. Don't push me away I saw it in your eyes you do still love me and I got news for you I still love you too I never stopped and I refuse to let you go again we deserve to be happy together" I kiss her deeply to sink my words in.