"did i invite you?"

chapter twelve: did i invite you?

FRIDAY AFTERNOON. The flight felt as though it took centuries; while Emma was snoozing, I was plagued with an inability to sleep. She thankfully was awake for the full last hour, however, so I at least had someone to talk to then.

As we were getting off of the plane, we said goodbye to the girls we had met and encouraged them to reach out if they ever needed anything. Emma and I were stoked to meet personal fans, and we talked about it as we waited for Emma's luggage. I had only brought a bag for the weekend that I took on the flight, so it was just Emma's things that we were waiting on.

Her luggage came around after nearly fifteen minutes. I was expecting the worst, in all honesty, so fifteen minutes hadn't been bad at all.

As we were making our way through the airport, trying to navigate our way through the masses of people, I found myself bumping into someone.

"Oh, I'm sorry!" I turned toward the person as I apologized and, as my eyes traveled up to the person's face, my face broke out into a grin.

"Hey, bubs." Luke was looking back at me with a wide grin, one bigger than I had ever seen on his face. Although I knew I probably shouldn't, guessing by the hat and sunglasses combo that were acting as a disguise, I couldn't refrain from jumping up and wrapping my arms around his neck.

Luke's arms snaked around me and he held me tightly, keeping my feet from hitting the ground as he squeezed me. I felt happy tears fill my eyes and I pressed kisses against his neck as I continued to hug him as tightly as possible. Luke's lips tangled with my messy hair and he let out a quiet laugh as we continued to hold each other the way we did.

I glanced over to see that Emma had found a hooded Ashton, which caused me to smile all over again.

"I cannot believe you're here," Luke said as he lowered me down to stand on my own. He leaned down and placed his hands on my cheeks as he kept his face close to my own. He placed his lips on mine and I nearly melted at the feeling of our lips colliding.

"I missed you so much," I told Luke as we pulled away. I noticed that a single tear had fallen down his cheek and I swiped my thumb against his cheek as I smiled.

"Let's get out of here." We both looked over at Ashton as he spoke and motioned toward the two guys they had been with—clearly security of some kind. Luke's hand found my own and he intertwined our fingers as we started to walk toward the entrance of the airport.

"How was the flight?" Luke asked, making small talk as we continued to wade through the crowded space. "Did you get any sleep?"

"No, I was too restless," I told him as I shook my head, an excited smile on my face as I spoke. "I'd start to drift off and then you'd pop into my head. I was too nervous to sleep."