asses are on the line

chapter eleven: asses are on the line

i simply can't stop watching this gif

i simply can't stop watching this gif. there's no other reason for me picking it. i'm just cake trash !! also!! this is a pretty quick chapter!! it's just a lil one

FRIDAY MORNING. "God," Emma groaned as we piled into the uber we had ordered for our ride to the airport. "Drinking last night was the stupidest idea ever." 

"I had a great time. You don't have an ounce of self-control—which is a horrible quality to have when you're a lightweight." Emma sent me a glare and I simply smiled as she closed the door on her side. We both buckled our seatbelts before making small talk with our driver.

We had left Madalyn and Jenna asleep on the couch in my apartment. While we had a good night, we had only gotten about four hours of sleep considering our flight was set for four in the morning. We had started drinking so early that we had passed out by eleven.

The drive to the airport took about forty minutes, which we had expected. Emma slept most of the way there and I just busied myself by scrolling through Twitter.

When Emma woke up, she seemed to be in a much better mood. I wasn't totally sure what had caused the change, but I was grateful.

"God, this is so exciting," Emma beamed as we pulled into the airport. "I cannot believe we're going to be seeing them in a matter of hours."

"I can't either," I said, biting my lip as my lips curled—the same excited, yet nervous feeling swarmed my stomach and I couldn't help but think about what Madalyn had told me the night before.

Emma and I got out of the car and spent a couple of minutes grabbing our bags from the trunk before thanking our driver and making our way in. Before we had gotten to the doors, I saw a flash of light from my peripheral, and I looked over to see a group of about five men standing to the side with cameras in their hands.

"Shit," I muttered as I started walking faster, grabbing Emma's arms as I went. The group had started to come closer and Emma seemed to realize what was going on before I had to tell her.

"Did they know you were going to be here? Is that possible?"

"I have no idea," I told Emma as my heart began to pound. We made our way to get checked in for our flight, doing our best to avoid looking over at the cameras. I wouldn't have expected paparazzi to be allowed in airports, but apparently, that wasn't the case.

Once Emma had dropped off her luggage, we made our way to security which is when we were officially free from the paparazzi. They hadn't been nearly as intense as I had imagined, but they also seemed to be working as secretly as possible.

It was like they didn't want me to realize they were there, which was the opposite of what I had expected.

We got through security surprisingly quickly, which was a blessing, and as we made our way to our gate, I pulled out my phone. I called Luke and hoped he would answer.