"lover of mine"

chapter thirty-nine: lover of mine

i wanna dance w/ drunk luke </3

SATURDAY NIGHT. After an exhaustingly long, yet fun, day of having people in and out of the house, the night was coming to a close. My parents had left around seven-thirty, taking Gabe with them. The rest of us stayed and spent a few hours decompressing with a couple bottles of wine.

"Cam, only drunk me would say this, but it's nice to have you back," Madalyn said, leaning over Howie to gently pat my older brother's cheek. She was by far the drunkest, as usual, but most of us weren't far behind. "You should join us more often."

"I agree," I told Cam as I wrapped my arms around his arm that was closest to me. "How do you think Howie feels always being left in the dust?"

"I know I'm Cammy's favorite," Howie said with a grin as he gently bumped into Cam's shoulder. "I'd get sick of him if he was around as much as he used to be."

"Oh, shut up," Madalyn said, clearly not agreeing with Howie's words.

"Tonight's been nice—I'm glad I stayed," Cam admitted, which made me smile. "Maybe I'll get Josie to invite me along more."

"You know you're welcome anytime," I told him, which he nodded in response to. I looked across the room to see Kate whispering something to Jenna. Kate's eyes fell on mine and as we held eye contact, she seemed to stop talking.

"And he's back!" Danny shouted as Luke walked back into the room, from the kitchen. The abruptness of Danny's words caused Luke to jump which caused us all to laugh. Luke was easily the drunkest I'd ever seen him.

"So, Hemmings! When do you leave?" Kate asked Luke; she had also had plenty to drink, so I was curious to see how they'd interact.

They'd been avoiding each other like the plague all day.

"Hmm, I'm thinking I might never," Luke told her as he crashed down beside me. He leaned over and kissed my cheek which caused me to chuckle; it was genuinely amusing to see him in such a state. "But I guess I'm scheduled to fly out Monday morning... what's it to ya?"

"Luke," I quietly reprimanded, placing my hand on his shoulder.

"I just wanted to make sure I'd know what day our Josie might need someone to take her mind off things." My brows furrowed at Kate's words and my hand that was previously on Luke's arm fell away as he pushed himself forward. "She gets sad when you're gone! That's all."

"You know, Kate... I think you're keeping something from the rest of us," Luke drunkenly accused. My eyes widened slightly as my heart started to pound and I immediately looked over at Emma, who was sitting on the rug beside Danny. We were sharing the same look.