"was that real?"

chapter nine: was that real?

ummm so much happens in this chapter ??? and for literally no reason ??? i simply hate it but could not stand to rewrite it

ummm so much happens in this chapter ??? and for literally no reason ??? i simply hate it but could not stand to rewrite it. it's almost 7000 words and i just ........ don't know how we got here ❤️ sorry in advance bc this is like a jillsplosion

WEDNESDAY EVENING. "Thank god you came in today," Emma said, wrapping her arm around my shoulders as we walked down the hallway after leaving our office. "I hate not having you with me all day."

"It's only until the new year," I reminded her but she merely sighed as her arm fell from me. "I'm glad I came in today, too—I miss seeing you every day." We walked into the main lobby and stopped at the desk, deciding to annoy Stevie and Molly. 

"You guys really ought to keep your distance in the office, it's unprofessional," I joked as I leaned over the counter. Molly was leaned against the desk as Stevie was sat in the chair.

"Hey, at least I'm not shagging the talent," Molly snorted which caused my eyes to playfully roll.

"Not that we're shagging," Stevie said in slight embarrassment while finding the confidence to mock Molly's accent. She laughed and placed her hand on his cheek as she patted it gently.

"Is Pat still in his office?" Molly asked and only received shrugs.

"You two are no help."

"We love you," Emma said which caused Molly to laugh as she pushed herself away from the desk. "Why do you need to see him?" Emma asked through a grimace which caused Molly to snicker.

"Tony has tasked me with casually coaching him to be more appealing—I've been dropping in to give him tips for the past four days. So far, nothing's working. It's like he's getting too old and too grumpy—he doesn't care about anything that he's talking about. We wish he'd just admit it." Emma sighed and I looked over at her with furrowed brows.

"What is it?" Molly asked hesitantly, seeming to have the same response as me. Emma had seemed genuinely sad to hear what Molly had said, which wasn't expected.

"Maybe I should talk to him," Emma said which caused my eyes to widen; I glanced to see that Molly's had done the same. "We started this thing together, you know? I doubt he wants to throw the towel in before I do. It meant so much to him in the beginning... I just think he's too proud to give it up. But maybe I could talk to him, maybe it would be good for me to do it."

"Em, you haven't had a private conversation with him in a long time," I reminded her, not thinking it was a good idea.

"Maybe not in person, but I've dealt with enough of his drunk calls and text conversations over the years to be confident that I know how to talk to him. We're different people now, but I still know him. Even if I'd rather not know him... I do."