Chapter 70

The sky above was littered with stars when Hani stepped out of the caverns. A small breeze blew that tugged at his fur, making the hyena shudder. It seemed that the cover of night made him do crazy things like this. But there was more to be done than just feeling the wind blowing through his pelt and watching the stars shine above. In Hani's mind were many burning questions that only he could answer. Ever since that lion came about it was if the clan was shrouded in a haze, unable to see what was right in front of them. But as far as the lone hyena was concerned, his eyes and mind were unclouded. The night was still young, the moon above lighting the sand in a blaze of silver. Feeling as if there was no more time to waste, Hani ventured off into the Outlands. His plan was to simply retrace his steps and uncover the truth for himself.

As best as he could, Hani recalled and retraced the path he walked before that led him to the conversation between the lion and that honey badger. The fact the badger knew so much about clan affairs disturbed him. Nakala actively told him more and more, terrifying the hyena. The sand shifting underneath his paws and gentle breeze failed to calm him. The more his mind recalled what he saw the more Hani felt that strange sensation. It was if the lion was right behind him, his yellow eyes boring into his backside, waiting for the perfect moment. He could practically feel claws digging into his hind legs and up his back.

Just how long so I have before he catches wind of me? It was all too easy for him to imagine himself being dragged into the lion's den and never being seen again. He was sure that he and Janja would formulate a tragic story and relay it to the clan. They would eat it up and mourn him over false pretenses. Hani was determined to keep that from happening. He was sure that once he was gone there would be nothing stopping Nakala from killing the entire clan off one by one. If any of them would ask where their fellow clanmate has gone off to they would be given a false story and soon dealt with.

Hani was sure that just the way that lions were, they enjoyed imposing their will on those weaker than them. There wasn't a single one he could trust, not even Zira and her pride. As soon as Nakala was exposed and cast off from the clan, Hani would also cut all ties with Zira. They would be free from the feline's influences. Hani was sure that they could free themselves from the Outlands but without the aid of some lion. What did he know about being born into a land with no hope? Having his own father taken away from him without saying goodbye? That was something that Hani carried with him now and until the day he fell dead.

But that lion? He was born in a land of prosperity. More prey than they could ever hunt in their lifetimes. Nakala was born as Kion, the crown prince of the Pride Lands. Even though he was not next in line for the throne, he still carried power over others. He was granted the power of a mystical force known as the Roar. The very same force he used against the clan not too long ago. Though Hani was never on the receiving end of a Roar he still felt it's effects. He couldn't count all the times parties would return with no food. As a cub he could remember his own father going hungry many nights, giving his ration of food to his son.

Using his other senses, Hani sniffed around the area. He picked up the faint scent of Nakala and even himself from earlier. The scent would lead him right where he needed to be. That badger would be the key to understanding what Nakala was trying to accomplish. The scent grew stronger, stinking of the lion. But there was another strong scent nearby and the further Hani stepped, the stronger the scent became. It was unlike anything he ever smelled before, a mix of fresh dirt and plain stink. He was sure that it was that honey badger. It was close, really close. Hani sniffed around the area, following the growing scent until he was led to a rock. At that point the hyena was all but gagging, his nose filled with the smell.

It was clear from the scent that the honey badger was close but where was he? All that Hani could see was a large, flat rock. Not willing to give up, he circled around the rock and found what looked like a hole freshly dug that widened underneath the rock. Upon seeing it Hani understood what he was looking at.

"Hey..." the hyena's ears perked and he jumped back upon hearing the voice.

"What's with all the noise?" after giving a yawn the honey badger rose from the hole. Hani couldn't help but grin to himself, his journey wasn't for nothing.

"Who are you?" Bunga asked, looking the hyena up and down. He didn't look like any of the hyenas he saw with Nakala. But maybe it was just because he was tired and it had been a while since he saw them. Sure it was late, but he quickly grew excited upon realizing he had a visitor.

"My name is Hani," the hyena introduced, figuring he wasn't going to get any answers being rude. There was no doubt that it was the honey badger he saw with Nakala earlier. He had the same voice, fur color, and a scent that was unmistakable. The badger gave him a wide smile and climbed further out of the hole, dusting himself off.

"The name's Bunga," the badger introduced. "I don't wanna come off as rude of anything, but what are you doing here?"

Hani didn't expect to be asked something like that. He didn't expect to be asked anything at all. In the hyena's mind he pictured himself asking all the questions. But things hardly seemed to go his way lately. He quickly thought of what he could say to not seem suspicious at all. Nakala popped into the hyena's head and he found it was the perfect subject. From what he saw before it was clear that he and the lion were close.

"Have you heard of a lion called Nakala?" Hani asked as if he possibly had the wrong badger.

"Nakala? Of course I've heard of him! We're best friends!" Bunga explained, grinning ear to ear.

The hyena was very pleased, everything was going just as he planned. "Oh, that's good. Nakala's talked a lot about you." Hani hoped that would peak the honey badger's interests and pull him deeper into conversation. If all went well he wouldn't have to come back. There was a chance he could get enough out of the honey badger to rid the clan of the lion first thing in the morning.

"Nakala told you about me? Did he say anything in particular?" Bunga chuckled, feeling his fur warming.

Hani's ears perked and his mind started to work. "Oh, he said how brave you were to be out here in the Outlands by yourself." The grin on the badger's muzzle eased the hyena. This is going to be easier than I thought. With a clearing of his voice Hani looked up at the sky, noticing the slow change. He grit his fangs, the information he wanted would have to wait for another night. The way the honey badger curiously tilted his head reminded him that he accomplished something.

"I'm sorry. It's going to be dawn soon and I have to get back to the caverns," Hani explained, lowering his ears. "But, Bunga. How about we keep this meeting a secret? I don't want Nakala to think I'm stealing his friend away."

Another chuckle came from Bunga, along with that warm sensation that spread through his body. It was something that the badger didn't quite understand. He was already looking forward to their next meeting, whenever that was. Giving the hyena a goodbye and waving him off, Bunga was soon left yawning. As the sun peeked over the far off horizon Bunga was already slinking into his makeshift den. Not soon after the honey badger was fast asleep, dreaming of a fierce lion and a charming hyena.

Hani felt rather proud of how he carried himself in front of the smaller mammal. It was clear to see that Bunga already trusted him. That knowledge made the night worth it. The stars above were fading away, being outshined by the rising sun. It wouldn't be too long until the dawn patrol were up and outside the cavern. He could imagine they would be surprised to see him but a simple explanation of insomnia and none of them would question it. A grin spread across Hani's muzzle, it seemed that everything was slowly but surely falling into place. Fate was on his side, the side of truth and justice. Soon he would expose the lion and expel the evil lurking within. He could only imagine how blissfully unaware the lion was that his days were numbered.