Chapter 89

The sun setting outside and the stars above becoming visible was a sign given to the entire clan. It was the time again, the time to hold a vigil and pay respects to one of their fallen. Just like the one before, the news of Hani's passing came earlier that very day and there was nobody for them to bury. Janja and Chungu were the first out there past the training grounds. Janja was preparing himself to speak to the entire clan on Hani's death and honoring his life. Meanwhile Chungu was already making good on his word, watching over the clan leader.

It wasn't too long until more and more of the clan occupied the space just outside the mountain's range. They all came in silence, filling out around their clan leader, waiting for the rest to arrive. Before Janja spoke, Chungu placed a comforting paw on his shoulder. The clan leader nodded back and cleared his throat before addressing the clan.

"Thank you all for coming here again. Things have been rough for us lately. Once again we lost a member of our clan that we can never replace. First we lost Kufo and it was just yesterday that we discovered the body of Hani. He was appointed to be my new retainer and not soon after we found his body torn apart by Zira and her lioness. Hani's death was unexpected and that's what makes it all the more tragic. He never liked being the center of attention but Nakala believed that would do great things for his clan. And I did too. With nobody to bury we'll still pay our respects to Hani."

Just as the clan leader, the many hyena's heads began to bow one after the other. Beside him, Chungu bowed his head as well. Janja had no doubt that his retainer was especially saddened by the loss of Hani. Janja himself couldn't help but feel guilty, this vigil was about celebrating Hani's life but all the clan leader could think about was Nakala. Surrounding him were nothing but hyenas and it was actually off-putting to not see the lion sticking out among the crowd. It made Janja wonder just where Nakala was and what he was doing. But the vigil took priority and the hyena forced himself to push the lion to the back of his mind.

It had been a whole night and a half since Nakala had left the clan behind. In that time the lion was just wandering aimlessly. Even though the lion knew he had to go, there was no location that came to his mind. Truly he was on his own now, well not completely. There were the other creatures of the Outlands, such as the jackals and the crocodiles to look out for if he happened to venture out. But Nakala was sure that he was safe for the time being. But he was still struggling on where he should go.

Even more vexing, Nakala was aware that it didn't matter where he went if his powers were still out of control. What was the point of going anywhere if he was a risk to everything and everyone? On top of all that, the lion was aware that leaving the clan behind posed it's own risk to them. They were left alone with Zira, who he was sure would catch on to his absence eventually. He needed a place where he could hone his skills and do it quickly. With a heavy sigh, Nakala changed his course and trekked towards the place that he really didn't want to go. But he had no choice, the only one who could help him was there, in the Pride Lands.

In the heart of the Pride Lands, Rafiki was resting in his hollow. But that was cut short by an abrupt gust of wind that nearly knocked the mandrill over. He opened his eyes and looked around for the culprit but found no one nearby.

"The years must finally be catching up to me..." Rafiki thought aloud, but before he could close his eyes again an even stronger gust hit him again. But this time the mandrill was able to see the leaves and feathers blowing in the breeze. They danced around him, commanding attention.

"What are you trying to tell me this time? Can it be something good for once?" Rafiki groaned before he dared to interpret the meaning. But the winds swirled out of the hollow. Grabbing his staff, Rafiki followed after them up his own tree and into the branches. Upon climbing up the mandrill saw that the leaves were resting just underneath a picture of Kion that he painted upon the lion's birth.