Chapter 59

A grunt came from the lion as he trekked back up the volcano, his paws were aching from the walk all the way to the Pridelands and back. It was very late into the night and the lion just wanted to return to his den and put the day behind him. He knew that it wouldn't be that simple, a good night sleep wouldn't undo anything that happened to Cheezi or the things that Zira had done.

Within the cavern itself the three hyenas managed to pull themselves together and now had a plan of how they would go about from now on. Even though their hearts were heavy they knew that they had to keep it together for the sake of the clan. Not only would they grieve Cheezi as well but now they had the looming threat of Zira eventually something new their way. Even though no words were exchanged between the hyenas they were doing the same thing, waiting for Nakala to come back.

Their prayers were answered as the lion gave a grunt and heaved himself onto the rocky plateau.

"You're back," those were the only words Amana could manage to say.

"We got a plan in place. Obviously the clan can't know what really happened here. We came up with a story that we went hunting around the ridge and I nearly fell off. Cheezi saved me and lost his life in the process," Janja explained, in a flat tone. Nakala understood that the subject wasn't up for discussion, that was how it's gonna go whether he liked it or not.

Slight movement in the corner of his eye caught his attention. Looking over Nakala saw that it was Bunga, sitting near the edge. The badger was looking out over the lake of the boiling red substance.

"Bunga," Nakala said, stepping close to him. "It's not late. You can still go back to the Pride Lands and pretend this never happened."

Bunga blinked and turned to the lion, pointing a claw at him. "You serious right now? You're in some serious trouble right now and I'm not just gonna leave you to take it on by yourself!" He stood up and stepped away from the edge. "Think about it, this Zira isn't gonna wait around forever for Cheezi to come back. Pretty soon she'll have something new planned."

Nakala was surprised to hear the honey badger making logical sense. "Well in that case, you're gonna have to join us then."

Bunga's eyes widened and an excited smile grew across his muzzle. "W-wait, you really mean—"

Nakala nodded his head and continued. "You've already proven that you can handle yourself and can even lend some help."

"Is that alright with you guys?" Nakala asked the hyenas, who gave him nods in response. "Alright, I think we should head back home now..."

The walk back to the caverns was a journey all in itself. With the moon high and a chilly breeze blowing through their fur the group had left the Deadlands and were back in the sandy dunes of the outer Outlands. The soft, grainy sand gave the lion's paws some relief from having them on heated rock for so long. Janja led the way back to the clan with Chungu and Amana walking behind him. Nakala was at the rear with Bunga riding on his back, scanning the area for any sign of Zira or any of her lioness.

All their thoughts were swirling with the events that day. Amana thoughts were about her younger brother, only being able to imagine the pain of losing his lifelong best friend. Indeed, Chungu was uncharacteristically quiet the entire trekk through the Outlands. All he could think of was seeing Cheezi falling and watching him sink below. Nakala's thoughts were about Zira and what her next move would be, determined to stop her once and for all. Despite scanning the area for enemies, Bunga's was thinking about Nakala. After all this time he finally found him and the badger was determined to be there for his friend if he ever needed him.

Janja, as he led the others back home, could only think of himself. How much of a failure he was. He knew it wouldn't do anyone any good but the hyena blamed himself for the events that took place back in that volcano. None of that should have happened and it wouldn't have if he just noticed the signs earlier. He should have noticed how often Cheezi was gone. He blamed himself for making the connection that whenever something happened around the clan Cheezi would make an appearance. Another thought came creeping the leader's mind. Was Cheezi the only one? Could it be possible that Zira had more hyenas working for her right under his nose?