Chapter 15

Nakala slowly opened his eyes. As his usual routine he yawned and stretched, letting out a low guttural growl as he did. Something about this morning in particular had him feeling refreshed and energized. A groan sounded next to him and he froze for a second before remembering the events of the night prior. He looked over at the hyena sprawled out, still fast asleep. Nakala couldn't help but snicker watching Janja toss and turn in his sleep. 

"Hey, Janja. It's time to get up..." the lion whispered, prodding Janja with his paw. The hyena grumbled and growled as he was roused from his sleep. "Janja, come on we got stuff to do."

Janja opened his eyes to see the lion standing over him and nearly jumped out of his fur. He scrambled up to his paws and faced the lion.

"Janja, Janja! Relax! It's just me..." the lion said gently. Janja blinked and gave a relieved sigh. 

"Ugh, Nakala...You scared the life out of me..." Janja shook his head. He looked around and remembered that he spent the night in Nakala's den. 

"You feel any better?" Nakala asked. The amount of care in the lion's voice made a warm feeling spread throughout Janja's being. 

"Yeah, I do. But I thought I told you not to worry so much about me," Janja insisted, planting his foot down firmly. 

"Still can't help it," Nakala smiled, shaking his head. "But I'm glad you are."

Before Janja could respond the lion reached forward and touched his nose with the hyena's. Janja's mind went blank and completely forgot what he was going to say...he was reduced to just staring at the lion. "I guess it's nice to have someone care about me..." Janja looked away, blushing. 

"Guess we should get something to eat," Nakala said.

"Oh, right! Finally we can dig into something that's not leftover bones,"Janja beamed, his tail wagging. The hunt they had brought in much for them to dine on. 

"And it's all because of us," Nakala beamed as well. The new couple walked out of Nakala's den together. 

"Heya, Nakala!....And Janja...?" Cheezi greeted, tilting his head in confusion. Both Nakala and Janja stopped in their tracks.

"Oh, uh hey Cheezi!" Janja quickly greeted with a burst of fake enthusiasm. "You're up early!"

"Janja what were you doing in—"

"Well, Nakala and I got up extra early to discuss the next hunt we're gonna do. The Lion Guard may have got us, but we'll be ready for them next time!" Janja waved his paw back at Nakala, signaling him to back him up. 

"Yeah!" Nakala chimed in, going along with it. He as well didn't want Cheezi to get the wrong idea. 

"We're gonna get them back? Count me in!" the small hyena growled excitedly. 

"I knew we could count on you" Janja encouraged. "We're gonna head off to get some grub. So see ya later." Janja wasted no time walking past his clan mate with Nakala following suit. 

"Uh...see ya," Cheezi said to the departing lion and hyena. 

The two walked through the caverns towards the main entrance together. Janja couldn't wait to dig into the haul they brought in. But Nakala's thoughts were elsewhere.

"Janja? What was that all about?" the lion asked. 

"What?" Janja said, knowing fully well what Nakala was talking about. He had hoped that the lion would have just let it go. 

"I mean that whole thing with Cheezi..." the lion pressed on. 

"Well, you know...We have this thing and all and it's still new to me and I don't know if I want the whole clan to know so fast," Janja admitted. "And I really don't want them to get ideas like that either!"

"I think I get it. But we are gonna tell them soon, right?" the lion asked, not wanting his relationship with the hyena to become a secured secret. 

"Uh, slowly but surely," Janja nodded. "We will."

"Okay..." the lion nodded. "But I think we should at least start with Cheezi and Chungu. You know our best friends. They'll follow you to the ends of the earth."

"Yeah, I guess you're right. After all I'm the leader of this whole clan and here I am acting some kind of mouse!" Janja stood tall. 

"So...what do you want to do?" Nakala asked. 

"We're gonna eat together and if anyone asks we'll let them know," Janja said boldly. 

"Really just like that?" Nakala blinked. "You sure that's a good idea?"

"Doesn't matter, I'm sticking to it," Janja nodded firmly. 

"Then that's what we'll do," Nakala rolled his eyes and shook his head as they approached the main cave. "You know not all of you're plans are brilliant." Janja paid no mind to the lion's comment and continued forward towards the den entrance. 

Soon the two were tearing into an antelope they caught together. "Janja, I have an idea," Nakala said to his new partner. 

"Mmm...What is it?" Janja responded between chewing. 

"What if I could bring in an antelope just for you each morning?" Nakala brought up. 

"Ooh...Just that idea...That would be the life...I would have make sure to pay you back, too." Janja winked, causing the lion to blush deeply. 

"Janja... I", the lion stammered. 

"I'm just playin' with ya. Would ya really bring in something every morning just for me?" the hyena asked before taking another bite of his meal. 

"Of course I would. The last thing I ever want to see is anyone around here hungry, especially you" Nakala asserted. 

"Well, with you and me together I got a feeling that won't be a problem for long" Janja encouraged. "Stick with me, kitty. We'll go places."

"Ha! Lead the way and I'll follow,"Nakala nodded firmly. "I know it sounds sappy but I'll fight next to you and protect you with all my heart and soul."

"And I won't let you get ripped to shreds out there," Janja snickered. "Not if I can help it."

"Thanks, Janja." the lion smiled at him. 

"No problem, now come on let's eat," Janja said. The pair continued eating next to one another. Unbeknownst to them there was a hyena would purposely eavesdropping on their conversation. 

"I knew something was up with that lion, but I never thought..." without another word the sneaky hyena scampered off to spread the news. 

"Chuchi! Chuchi!" the larger hyena being called stepped out of his den with a yawn. 

"Why are you doing all that yelling, Enzi?" Chuchhi asked his friend with clear irritation in his voice. He was having a great nap and Enzi's yapping certainly wasn't something pleasant to wake up to. 

"Look, forget about all that! I just found something out that's huge!", Enzi stamped his paws in excitement. "For real this time!"

"...That's what you said the last time," Chuchi groaned after taking a big sigh. "And the time before that and the time before that, too."

"Yeah, but listen to this! I saw that lion and Janja out there eating next to each other, getting all close, making goo-goo eyes at one another. Making all these promises to each other. I knew that there was something up with that lion, but I never thought he would turn out to be a puffball," Enzi explained while pacing back and forth. 

"So Nakala and Janja are, like, together? That's it?" Chuchi yawned, still hoping that the conversation would end quickly. "Is that all you wanted to tell me?"

"Aw, you're not even listening. Just go back to sleep why don't you," Enzi groaned, Chuchi on the other hand was more than happy to comply. 

I knew something was up with a lion. I always knew it. But nobody believed me. But that's just fine with me cause I can be the one to let them all know!, Enzi smirked, without giving it anymore thought he rushed off to tell anyone else he could find.