Chapter 62

In the clan most, if not all, the hyenas were always in agreement of what to do and how to do it when it came to the clan, but there is always an exception. One who prefers to do things on their own and won't accept any help. Even in his early years as a cub he always seemed to stand out among the other hyenas. Despite being one of the most recognizable members of the clan, most knew virtually nothing about him. He always kept to himself and after his father's death he only became more distant and reclusive. Thanks to the distance he keeps from everyone else there are many who don't know his actual name or that he even existed but others recognized him and the legends surrounding his late father. Within the cavern of Janja's hyena clan this hyena is known by only a few as Hani.

As a young cub he idolized his father, Kufo, hearing all about his heroic and selfless deeds around the clan. His father was one of the elite hyenas and dedicated that position to improving the clan's quality of life. He was known to put others before himself no matter what rank or position they were. As long as he could walk, Hani wanted nothing more than to be just like his father when grew up.

Hani was raised by Kufo and Kufo alone. Things didn't work out between him and his former mate. But this never bothered Hani and it never deterred Kufo from being the best parent he thought he could be. Once Hani was old enough the legendary hyena took upon himself to train his son personally.

"Try it again. Put more force into your legs this time!" Kufo called from across the training grounds. Hani nodded and took a deep breath. He had lost count how many times he had done this but still attempted again. The young hyena ran as fast as his legs could carry him. As ahead of him sat a rock nearly twice his height. Following his father's advice, Hani bunched the muscles in his leg and sprung into the air. For a split second he felt that he would finally be able to do it but he was just short, instead landing on the boulder and quickly losing his balance. With a thud and a grunt, the young Hani fell into the dusty earth of the training grounds.

As his father approached, Hani couldn't help but feel like he let the older hyena down. They had been at this all morning and the smaller hyena didn't think he made any progress.

But Kufo looked down at his son and gave him a smile. "Well done, Hani. In just one day you've nearly made it over. You'll be jumping over it in no time."

Hani smiled as well and stood up, shaking the dirt out of his fur. Turning around, he saw the rock and wasn't deterred. Instead he was determined on jumping clear over it and making his dad proud.

As time went on Hani continued training under his father, gaining new skills and techniques to become a better fighter. Over the years, jumping over a rock twice his height became something easy. Kufo trained with him everyday, giving Hani tips on how to be a better fighter as well as how to serve his clan. But something always bothered the young hyena, even though he was making progress, nothing he did was ever close to what his father could do. Hani felt that his strength, speed and stamina were nothing compared to his father's. In the young hyena's eyes anything he could do, his father could do infinitely better and that only made him frustrated with his own inability.

Kufo was always encouraging his son, no matter what. Even when he made mistakes or fell just a bit short the older hyena was never angry with his son. As Kufo often told Hani, all his talent came from all the hard work he put into it. Hani listened and understood, but couldn't stop himself from feeling like he just wasn't enough.

"Try again. This time aim higher," Kufo suggested from across the training grounds. Hani growled himself and ran forward at his father. Upon being approached Kufo dodged to the side but Hani saw this coming, taking his father's advice and batting his left paw upwards. The older hyena gave a grunt of pain as he took the full force of the hit. Before Hani could revel in his small victory Kufo recovered and countered by pushing Hani back with his shoulder. Taking advantage of his son being caught off guard, Kufo made a swift motion, twisting himself around and kicking Hani with his back legs. The young hyena gave his own grunt of pain as he lost his balance and fell in the dirt.