Chapter 39

Chungu wrestled Hani into his den.

"What do you think you're doing?!" Chungu hissed at the hostile hyena. Hani didn't shrink under the larger hyena's gaze, holding a defiant stare.

"I'm taking a stand against that lion. This is about revenge!" Hani snarled.

"What are you talking about?" Chungu huffed. "I know what happened then but everyone knows Nakala had nothing to do with that."

"Nakala's a lion just like the rest of them and lion's can't be trusted. Not even him," Hani says in a low voice.

"You say that but-"

"Well, I would trust him with my life!" both of the hyenas froze as Amana came storming in.

"Amana? What are you doing here?" Chungu asked in confusion. Hani growled at the elite hyena's words but dared not actually say anything to her.

"What were you thinking?!" Amana snarled, ignoring her brother instead turning her attention towards Hani. "Attacking another member of the clan?"

"I did it for revenge," the young hyena said without remorse. "My father died at the claws of his kind and all any of you ever did for it was mourn and bury him! None of you did anything in retaliation against them! Even after they took one of our own!"

"You're right. We didn't do much about it. We didn't go after the lioness that killed Kufo. But, Hani? Tell me, what really could we do? Even five of us isn't enough to guarantee we can beat one lion," Amana challenged.

"Hmph. I could take him down. Easy," Hani muttered. Amana and Chungu heard this and were stunned. Amana stomped towards Hani and swat her paw across his face. Her brother was stunned at the display.

Hani gave a hiss of pain and held the spot he was it in. "Nakala is a member of our clan! He's done so much for all of us whether or not you know that. And that lion may be the only chance we have at freedom!"

"Freedom doesn't mean anything to me if my father's not avenged," Hani snarled in a cold tone.

"Hmm. Well in that case why don't you ask Nakala for help on that. I'm sure he'll be more than happy to help, after you apologize of course," Amana suggested.

"If you think I'm ever gonna accept the pity or help from that lion-"

"Well, sorry to tell ya this but... Nakala's the only one who can help you," Amana gave a sly smile before turning around to leave.

A little while later Amana and Chungu returned to her den only to find Nakala and Janja asleep, huddled close to one another. The both of them figured that it was best to let them rest and take on the duties of the clan leader for a while.