Chapter 97

Still feeling a bit strange about his previous encounter, Nakala approached Rafiki's hollow. The mandrill himself was resting in the low branches, humming a small tune to himself. Upon hearing the lion's approaching footsteps Rafiki opened his eyes and looked down at the feline.

"Ah, Nakala! So, how was your visit to the lair?" Rafiki grinned.

The lion's eyes widened and his mouth hung open, "H-how did you know I went there?"

"I knew you'd go there eventually," the mandrill chuckled, climbing down. "It's nice to mend wounds from the past, isn't it?"

Nakala smiled and sat down in the soft grass, "Yeah, it does. So what are we doing now?"

"You've been making great progress these last few days," Rafiki grinned, placing a hand on the lion's shoulder. "You should spend this one doing what you want." With that, the mandrill was already climbing up the tree and closed his eyes once again.

Huh. A whole day to myself, Nakala thought to himself. He stepped away from the tree and wandered in the savanna, thinking of how he would spend an entire day. There wasn't much he wanted to do in the Pride Lands. Kiara was out hunting and there was no one else he could just follow around.

Nakala thought for a moment and the answer came to him. An answer that made a grin spread across his muzzle. He would go back to the Outlands and pay the clan a visit. Before the lion knew it, his paws were already racing towards the border.

Earlier that same day, Janja was watching over his clan. Things were going well enough in the clan, a party was already out searching for any food out there. The clan leader heavily involved himself in clan affairs, but it did little to distract him from Nakala's absence. Even though they were only apart for two days, Janja missed the lion desperately. He didn't realize how lonely it would be to sleep in his den all alone or wake up with no one else either. Chungu was there to help out any way he could and when she could, Amana would step in to take Janja's place when he was busy with other engagements.

"Everything looking good?" Janja asked his retainer

"The hunting party is out and we all-" The large hyena was cut off by many others. In an instant hyenas were yelling over one another and scrambling away from the cavern's entrance. Janja and Chungu looked to one another and rushed into the crowd. Following behind his retainer, the clan leader pushed through the crowd. Upon seeing the source of all the commotion, it was no wonder why everyone was running for their lives.

Staring Janja and Chungu down was none other than the wicked lioness, Zira. Standing tall behind her were her three children, Nuka, Vitani and Kovu. "Ah, I heard that you're little lion took a break."

"Y-yeah, so what?" Janja growled, standing firm against the invaders. "You're the ones stepping on our turf!" As soon as the clan leader said that, the other hyenas found their own courage and bared their fangs at the group of felines.

"Be careful," Zira grinned. "You don't have your precious Nakala to save you this time." She looked past Janja to see some of the hyenas faltering in their stance. Others were trembling. That filled the lioness with satisfaction, it was true that she and her children stood no chance against the many hyenas. But she wasn't here to fight and the lioness reputation was doing all the work for her. There was nothing she could say to make them any more scared than they already were. Instead she kept her eyes on the clan leader. "Now, come along."

"Huh?" Janja asked, his ears lowering in confusion.

"Either you come quietly or I will give the signal for the rest of my pride to swarm in and slaughter each and every one of you pests," Zira grinned, baring her fangs.

Janja took a step back and gasped. Even though it was possible that Zira was bluffing, was it worth it to take the risk. If she was the clan could overpower her easily and chase them all off. But... If she was telling the truth and the rest of her clan was nearby and if they weren't but on their way... Even with their larger numbers there was no way they could take on the might of lioness trained by the most ruthless creature in the entire Pride Lands.

"Janja..." Chungu whispered.

"It's alright, Chungu," Janja said sternly. "You stay back."

"J-Janja! What are-"

"That's an order, Chungu!" the clan leader barked. With a heavy sigh he took a step forward and looked the lioness in the eyes. "Alright, but you're gonna leave the rest out of whatever you're planning."

"Fine, fine," Zira smirked. "After all, you're the only one that matters in the grand scheme."

The lioness turned her gaze to the rest of the clan. Meanwhile, her children were already escorting their clan leader away. The fear and dismay on their faces only fueled Zira's ego. They were right to be afraid of her. They had no idea what was coming. With a final grin she turned around, staying true to her word and leaving the rest of the clan alone. Chungu stood firm in the front of the entire clan, determined to protect them. He dared not to move until the felines were out of sight but that's when the panic set in. There Chungu stood, looking back at his scared clanmates. They were without Nakala and now without a clan leader. Who knows what would happen to Janja. What would happen to them if Zira went back on her word and came for them?