Chapter 16

Janja took a deep breath. He had called for only his closest to meet him at the training spot. He knew they were on the way and it was only a matter of time. He and Nakala had talked and the lion convinced him that they should be the ones he breaks the news to first. They had known him the longest and would be by his side no matter what.

"You called?" Amana asked with Cheezi and Chungu arriving alongside her.

"Uh, yeah. I'm just gonna say it right here and now," Janja said, taking another deep breath. "Alright the thing is... Nakala and I are together!" Janja barked out. He looked to the party of hyenas in front of him who looked back at him. No one said anything for a solid two seconds until Amana broke the silence with a sudden burst of laughter.

"I knew there was something going on between you two!" Amana grinned as Cheezi and Chungu looked to her in confusion.

"Whatever you say," Janja rolled his eyes but smiled at his good friend.

"I think it's pretty cool," Chungu piped up. "I like Janja and I like Nakala, too. So I'm gonna like the two of them together." Cheezi said nothing about it, just listening to Amana and Chungu go on about it.

"Great, so now that I told you; you won't have to wonder about me and Nakala spending so much time together from now on," Janja explained.

"Janja, is this whole thing supposed to be a secret?" Chungu asked.

"Well, it's not exactly a secret but it's not like everyone else knows either," Janja answered.

"Uh, Janja? Can I ask a question?" Cheezi asked in a small voice.

"Uh, sure," the lead hyena affirmed.

"If you two are together now does that mean you're gonna get a den together?" Cheezi asked.

That was something Janja never even asked himself. Should he join Nakala in his den?

"I don't know. I'll have to talk to Nakala about it," Janja thought aloud.

"So is Nakala gonna eat me if I keep making fun of you?" Amana asked.

"I have no idea," Janja shrugged.

"You know when you think about it: Nakala used to be our enemy and now he's our best friend and Janja's mate now," Chungu beamed.

"That was all in the past," Janja sighed. "Alright that's enough. You guys can go now." Doing as they were told, Cheezi and Chungu walked off to continue their daily rounds. But Amana stayed behind and grinned at Janja.

"I gotta give it to you, Janja. You sure chose a good one, never thought I'd see the day. Falling for a lion prince no less," Amana nudged him gently.

"Not like it matters. I like him just the way he is. Prince or not," Janja defended.

"Awww," Amana coo'd, purposely trying to be as irritating as possible.

"Will you get out of here?!" Janja barked at the taunting elite. She giggled and pranced off, feeling very satisfied with herself.

Janja sighed, feeling some kind of weight lifted off his shoulders. He bounded off to go find Nakala. Already having an idea of where the lion might be he made his way to the training grounds. The closer he got to the training grounds to more clearly he heard the strained grunts and growls of the lion. Standing at the edge of the grounds, he saw Nakala actually pushing rocks against his shoulder across the clearing.

"What the heck are you doing?" Janja called out to the lion. Once Nakala heard the voice of the hyena he lost focus and slipped. Janja ran up to the lion and helped him up.