Chapter 55

Nakala was much further than the rest, climbing higher and higher up the rocky slope leading the volcano's summit. Bunga clung to his scruff, holding on against the lion's movement. Both of them could feel a creeping heat growing stronger the higher they climbed. But Nakala was undeterred, placing his paws one in the front of the other. He had to keep going, he had to get to Cheezi. He had to save Kiara. The summit was in sight and the lion could hear his sister's voice.

Cheezi could hear the lion's grunts of effort, growing closer and closer to him. He would wait for Nakala to arrive, there was nothing else he wanted to do. The hyena prepared himself for whatever was going to happen to him. All that mattered to him was that someone was going to be put to an end.

With one final heave Nakala rose over the edge, stepping onto the volcano's peak. The honey badger climbed off the lion's back, standing beside him. His eyes widened upon seeing Kiara tied up near the edge. "There she is, Nakala!" Nakala followed the badger's pointed claw, his eyes also landing on the tied up lioness. She was only a few feet from the edge, the lion knowing fully well that anything that went over would fall into the lake of lava below.

"Cheezi! What are you doing?!" Nakala yelled at the hyena sitting ahead of him. Cheezi rose to his paws, but kept still in place. The hyena avoided his clanmates' gaze, keeping his eyes on the stone floor below. This was it then... Nakala was here and it sounded like the others weren't far behind....

The lion took a step forward, once he did Cheezi quickly took a step back towards Kiara. "Stay back! You need to listen to me first!" Nakala grit his fangs, and even though the other hyenas caught up to him the lion never took his eyes off the smallest hyena.

"Why are you doing this? Why do anything she says?!" Janja barked at Cheezi.

The small hyena sighed. "I've been Zira's eyes and ears for a long time. Anything that happened to the clan I would tell her. But all she really cared about was you, Nakala. She's known about you for a long time. She's stronger than she looks and she knows how the Roar works. You can't just fight her..."

Nakala said nothing in response. As much as he hated to admit it, he had a feeling that Cheezi knew what he was talking about.

"I've done everything Zira's told me. I had to. Me made an agreement that if I did then she wouldn't come after us. She wants to get to you, Nakala. Her whole pride could wipe all of us out... But did whatever she told me to keep that from happening. I'm sorry...." the small hyena's gaze met with Nakala's. The lion's fury faltered, seeing the sorrowful look in Cheezi's eyes. It was clear to see that he didn't want any of this to have happened.

"Cheezi? Why didn't you tell any of us? We could have helped you?" Janja stepped alongside the lion.

Cheezi just shook his head. "She would have found out, trust me. And when she did it would be all over for us.... I never wanted any of this to happen. I did my best to keep her back for as long as I could. But then they found the princess... And now they want me to kill her. She's already made the plan. She has agents that'll spread the word in the Pridelands...."

The lion's blood ran cold. That plan was cruel but it was brilliant. With the news of the princess of the Pridelands killed in the Outlands spread around... The entire Pridelands would be coming for each and every one of the hyenas, including himself. Even with his Roar there would be no way that he would be able to stop them. Zira really was more powerful than she seemed....

Cheezi gave out a yelp as he was tackled from behind, Bunga clinging to his fur. The hyena began to buck and twist wildly to get the badger off of him. Nakala saw his chance, rushing towards the hyena as well. Bunga could see the lion charging towards him and jumped off Cheezi's back. In an instant Nakala tackled the small hyena to the stone floor.