Chapter 98

Before Nakala even knew it, he was back in the Outlands. It was strange that the lack of plants and loose earth under his paws brought him comfort. Even the hot sun beating down his pelt made the lion smile. Despite how harsh the land was, there was no denying that it was home, his home. Trotting happily through the land, Nakala grew closer and closer to his clan's territory. He couldn't wait to see them again and there was no doubt that they would be thrilled to see him, especially Janja. Nakala could imagine what his mate would say when he saw him.

Drawing closer to the mountain Nakala noticed that there was far less activity than usual. On any given day there were hyenas coming in and going through the entrance at every second. But everything seemed quiet and empty, as if time itself had stopped. With a sinking feeling in his chest, Nakala dared to venture out towards his home. He hoped that his mind was just running wild and there was maybe an event he wasn't there to hear about or maybe they were all still sleeping in.

But drawing close to the cavern and taking a peek inside only made Nakala all the more confused. It looked as if it was a clan meeting but he couldn't see Janja and all the hyenas were all talking over one another. All of them sounded panicked and there were a few running back and forth. More curious than ever, Nakala stepped into the cavern and roared. Many of the hyenas jumped and some of them even screamed, thinking that Zira was back to finish them off but turning around they were all relieved and happy to see the lion again.

"W-what's going on here?" Nakala asked. One moment they were all panicking and now they were all crowding around him and smiling. "Why are you all just standing around here? Where's Janja?" As soon as those words left the lion's muzzle the entire clan grew quiet. Through the crowd pushed none other than Amana.

"N-Nakala? You're back already?" Amana asked, her tone simultaneously relieved and confused.

"Amana. What is going on?" Nakala asked with a stern tone in his voice.

Amana shifted her paws and looked around before sighing and taking another step forwards. "Nakala... Janja was taken away by Zira. He went with her and she agreed to leave the rest of us alone."

For a moment Nakala said nothing. The first thing that came to mind was the lioness' involvement with the leopards Badili and Mapigano and Cheezi's sacrifice to keep her at bay. "We have to do something," Nakala said plainly. His voice contained no anger nor sorrow, just pure determination.

"I know but we also have to think this through," Amana urged. Nakala nodded and took a deep breath.

"Now, we need a way to get Janja back without putting anyone else in danger," the elite hyena thought aloud.

"What if we got help outside of the clan? Outside of the Outlands?" Nakala suggested.

"You really think something like that would work?" Amana asked despite every fiber of her being already knowing the answer. But then again, desperate times call for desperate measures. At this point she was willing to try anything if it meant saving Janja's life.

"Alright. But I'll need you and Chungu to come with me. I can't do this alone," Nakala explained. "I'm pretty sure the elites can keep things running while we're gone."

Amana chuckled and nodded. Soon she was gone to tell the other elites and find her brother. Meanwhile, Nakala stayed behind to bring some order to the clan. The other hyenas were quick and eager to do as he said. The lion elected a band of hyenas to watch for any sign of trouble coming the clan's way. As for the rest of them, Nakala urged the hyenas to go about their regular day, assuring them that he would bring his mate home safe and sound.

Soon Amana returned with Chungu by her side. She assured Nakala that the elites would keep things running. "We're ready if you are."

Nakala nodded and led the way out of the cavern. Close behind, Chungu and Amana kept pace.

"Are you sure this is a good idea?" Chungu asked.

"Honestly I'm not completely sure. But this is all we got. Don't worry, I won't let anything happen to you," Nakala assured, tilting his head. Chungu nodded but worry was still thick on his muzzle.

It took them some time but Nakala, Chungu and Amana were soon strolling through the savanna. Other Pridelanders saw them and quickly scampered away. But the lion paid them no attention and encouraged the hyenas to do the same. Janja's life is on the line and they couldn't afford to worry about them. Though his stride was confident and his head was held high, Nakala couldn't help but wonder what his father would say.