Chapter 41

Deep in the Outlands a lone hyena ventured far from the caverns with an urgent mission. They trekked across the desert-like environment determined to make it to their destination and back before the sun rose and they were discovered.

The hyena couldn't help but grimace seeing what was towering in the distance ahead of them. It was certainly the worst part of coming out all this way. They groaned and shuddered as they neared the large structures that tormented them each and every single time. Taking a deep breath and remembering what they came all their way for was enough for them to take a step forward. Soon that step turned into many which also escalated into running. The hyena groaned and shuddered as they ran past the towering termite mounds, feeling a few jump and cling to them. Doing their best to shake them off while continuing forward to make sure no more hopped on them was a challenge but they managed until they were clear of the termites, at least until they had to return to the hyena caverns.

Stopping just a moment outside of the entrance of the den the hyena took a moment to compose themselves and make sure none of those little six-legged demons were clinging to them just to be carried back to their den to really terrorize them. With an exhale to steady themselves they stepped within the den. Within a few steps they were met with snarling lioness who they ignored as they did the same thing every time. It was something they grew to expect every time they showed up. Not giving them even a side eye or display of concern the hyena continued forward, stopping at the center of the den. All the snarling behind them stopped, instead a single lioness gave a yowl which echoed down the cavern. The hyena waited patiently for her to arrive so they could really tell her what they just saw.

It took some time but Zira stepped from the shadows of the cavern into the light coming in from the entrance and the many holes within the den's walls and ceiling. Along with her came her children, Nuka, Vitani and even Kovu. Just as they always had when Zira made her presence known the hyena bowed before her.

"Why have you returned so suddenly?" Zira asked in a voice that gave the hyena the impression she was more annoyed to see them rather than intrigued to be given new information. But it didn't deter the hyena's spirit, sure that they had something Zira could make some use out of.

"I saw him. The lion, Nakala. News spread around the dens that Nakala got hurt again and it was pretty bad. I snuck around and got a look at it myself. It was broken but not only that it looked all mangled and stuff. Looked like it wouldn't be useful at all," the hyena began.

"So, the lion has a lame paw. That is something," Zira gave a thoughtful look.

"N-no. No, wait!" the hyena interrupted. Zira flashed them a sharp look, causing the hyena to cower under her gaze. "I'm sorry. It's just that...No, their paw isn't messed up anymore."

"What? Okay, I'm confused. First you say their paw is all mangled up or whatever and now you're saying he's just fine? You better start making some sense!" Vitani growled in annoyance.

"Yes," Zira agreed, narrowing her.

"No, I mean... Nakala's paw was all messed up and when he was all alone he started saying things to himself like 'I'm tired of laying around' and he wished his paw would hurry up and get better. And then it did!" the hyena explained failing to disguise their amazement at the event. "That mark on his shoulder started doing this glowy thing and his paw fixed itself just like that. He stood up and everything was just fine!"

Nuka and Vitani gave each other a skeptic look while Kovu's face didn't give any clue to what he was thinking. They stood behind Zira as she also looked like she was deep in thought.

"This is...wonderful!" Zira beamed, taking everyone involved in the report involved. "This means his abilities are developing at last!"

"Uh, and that means what exactly?" the confused hyena asked.

"Never mind that," Zira rushed towards the hyena causing them to yelp in fear. They cowered as she stood over them. Zira reached her paw forward and caressed the fur on the quivering hyena's head.

"From now on I want you to watch that lion very, very closely," Zira said a gentle voice, continuing to pet the fearful mammal. "This may be the chance I need to make my dreams a reality, but you don't worry about that. You just do what I told you. Not shoo, shoo. And don't you dare disappoint me."

The hyena didn't have to be told anything more before they took off out of the den back towards the hyena caverns.