Chapter 9

Janja looked on in surprise at the amount of hyenas standing and murmuring amongst each other. He and Nakala pushed through the onlooking hyenas while Cheezi hung back, his job already finished.

"Out of the way!" Janja shouted through the crowd, who moved aside for their leader.

What's going on around here? Nakala thought to himself. The looks on many of the hyenas were those of concerns and worry. Finally he and Janja burst through the crowd and saw what was creating all the chaos.

"Whoa! What happened here?" Janja barked, his voice pitched in deep fear for what he saw.

Nakala followed the leader's and froze as well. At the center of everyone's attention was the returning group. A party of 4 hyenas. They were in bad shape, covered in scratches and some gashes. Some of them were still bleeding from their wounds.

"We were out hunting...near the Pride Lands. I guess we got a bit too close—Some lioness came out of nowhere and we just barely managed to get away," Nne, one of the members of the party coughed.

"I...I'm just glad that you guys made it here safe. We'll get you guys patched up," Janja reassured. "Hold on a minute. Where's Kufo?"

The sudden look on Nne and the other 3 hyenas face told them it was nothing good. Kufo was the fifth hyena that was actually the leader of the hunting party.

"He..He didn't make it back," one of the hyenas said.

"Kufo fought against the lioness to buy us some time. I saw her swing her claw...she hit his throat..." Nne sighed painfully.

"He's the reason we could come back here..." the third hyena on the party bowed his head.

"Kufo..." Janja said, his ears laid flat in visible sorrow.

Nakala glanced behind him to see other hyenas some had their heads bowed and others already wore faces of grief. Nakala himself did not know Kufo himself. He was aware that he was a very strong hyena who was constantly on missions and taking on tasks, putting the clan before himself. And to go out like that...Sacrificing himself so the rest could escape with their own lives, an action Nakala had nothing but respect for.

"We shall hold a mourning for him tonight," Janja announced, among the hyenas were murmurs of agreement. Janja made a motion with his paw and the large crowd slowly and somberly separated. Nakala walked up slowly to Janja, not saying anything to the hyena. With his back still turned to him Janja sighed and hung his head low.

"Kufo...I can't believe it.." Janja said quietly.

"Janja? Are you going to be okay?" Nakala asked gently.

"I don't know. Kufo was an amazing hyena. He was always positive and hoping that everything could be better..." Janja explained. Nakala listened intently, wanting to know the story of their fallen clan member. "He always put others first. I offered for him to be an elite but he turned me down, wanting to do more for the entire clan."

"I'm sorry.." Nakala said, not knowing what else to do.

Janja said nothing in response. Nakala understood that he was grieving and decided was best to just leave him alone. He took a walk back towards his den to collect his thoughts.

"I can't believe it..." Nakala looked over to see two familiar elderly female hyenas talking with one another.

"It doesn't seem real. I mean I just saw him this morning..." the other one said sadly.

"Hello, Nakala," the first hyena greeted.

"Hey, Kesi and Shani," Nakala nodded to them. "I'm sorry to hear about Kufo."