Chapter 106

"W-wait!" an injured Kovu moaned. "You can't just leave me here..."

Janja, Amana, and Chungu stopped in their tracks and looked down at the lion lying on the cave floor. Amana took a moment to look Kovu over and found the main injury was a shattered broken front leg. There was no way he would be able to walk on it and there was no one else nearby to help him. There was a chance that someone would come back soon. But if they didn't the lion would be left on the floor, left behind to either somehow fend for himself in the harsh land or just die.

"I can tell you where that lion is," Kovu grunted, sitting himself up. "Vitani and my mother... They ran away towards the Pride Lands..."

Janja and Amana looked at one another. He wasn't sure about this but Chungu gave them both a look that made the clan leader and the elite roll their eyes. It was clear they were going to help him, even though he was part of Zira's pride it wouldn't be right to leave him behind in a state like this. Working together, Janja and Chungu lifted and hoisted the dark lion up. Amana led the way and together they crossed the Outlands together.

It took them the entire night to get across the barren land and into the Pride Lands. Upon getting close to the area there was a wind that picked up. It blew through their fur, making them shudder under the cool night air. Once they were into the heart of the Pride Lands, Kovu climbed off of them, thanked the hyenas and limped off to find his family. Left alone, the hyenas looked for Nakala. The sun was just starting to rise but the wind was starting to get stronger and stronger.

"What's going on? There's no storm clouds..." Amana said, looking up at the sky.

A loud crack and thud of a tree hitting the ground nearby made them all jump. The lion they were looking for was right in front of them. He was raking his claws into the fallen tree, ripping out splinters of bark. It was clear to Janja that something was not right with his mate. There was something wrong, Nakala wasn't right.

"Nakala!" Janja yelled. Amana and Chungu called after their clan leader as he ran ahead towards the rampaging feline. Nakala stopped clawing at the tree and looked around at the hyena that called his name. The lion stopped completely, standing completely still. His eyes were focused on the hyena in front of him. Janja took a step forward. A low growl came from Nakala but he still didn't move.

"Nakala. It's me. I'm alright," Janja said, keeping his voice calm. He stepped closer and closer until the lion was just a muzzle's length away. The hyena had no idea why but something compelled him to touch his paw to Nakala's shoulder. The mark started to glow faintly for a few seconds until the light dimmed out.

Nakala's face softened and looked over at the paw touching him. His eyes slowly moved back to Janja's face. He blinked and his eyes widened. "J-Janja? Are you-"

"Yeah, it's me. It's alright," Janja smiled.

Nakala smiled as well and was about to say something as well but he winced in pain and collapsed on the floor.

"Nakala!" Janja and Chungu yelled. The hyenas rushed up to the unconscious lion and surrounded him. The wind around them died off, confirming that it came from Nakala.

"Zira did this to him..." Janja growled, gently putting a paw on Nakala's bloody fur. "She forced him to get mad and use the Roar... We gotta get him back home..."

The same night that Zira invaded Pride Rock was the night that the hyenas were dragging Nakala back home. They carried him carefully across the Pride Lands and back into the Outlands. The whole time none of them said anything, instead focusing solely on the lion. He was still breathing and every so often he made small noises. Every sound Nakala made, Janja's ears flicked. There were still many questions in the hyena's head but he pushed them all aside, focusing on bringing his mate back home.

Their return was met with a myriad of noise and chaos. There was a mix of joy and concern for the returning clan members. Their clan leader was back and he was safe and sound. But there was Nakala. His paws, mouth and flank were covered in blood and the lion was unresponsive. Janja focused on his mate and his mate alone. With help from Amana, Janja carried the lion back to their den. Janja left Amana with the lion but he left them both to address his clan.

A quick meeting was called and the entrance was filled with concerned hyenas looking for answers. Janja was standing over them all just like he usually did. He took a deep breath and just imagined that for a moment things were just like they always were.

"I know a lot just happened and you guys were worried... But for now things are alright. I'm just fine and Nakala is too. Zira tried to use him but it didn't go as she planned but I guess it still worked in the end..." Janja said. The other hyenas below him looked at each other and murmured to one another, wondering what their clan leader was talking about.

"Zira... Zira used Nakala to take control of the Pride Lands. She did it. She's in control now..." Janja explained. Below him the clan was abuzz from his news. There were murmurs of disbelief and worry, a few asking what was going to happen to them. "But none of you have to worry... We got away from Zira twice and we'll do it again. As your clan leader I will keep her from getting to you guys..."