Chapter 65

As Nakala was once again testing his skill in the training grounds, Hani was there in the distance. He was determined to keep an eye on the lion, waiting for something that he could use as proof the lion was really an enemy in hiding. He would also have to provide proof that some of the most powerful hyenas in the clan were also protecting a killer. But so far the lion was doing his usual drills; running across the grounds, pushing heavy rocks and even climbing the dead tree just a short distance away. It was that way until the sun began to set and the lion finally decided to call it a night. Hani himself was growing tired as well and was prepared to returned to his own den for the approaching night.

Suddenly as Nakala turned around to return to the dens in the distance rose two figures from behind a large rock. Hani was sure that his eyes were playing tricks on him but after a few quick blinks, the figures were still there. They were watching Nakala, just like he was. The three hidden figures watched as Nakala gave a yawn and disappeared around the corner. The hyena's attention snapped back to the hidden creatures. They stood taller and stepped out from behind the rock, making the hyena's breath catch in his throat.

Lions, Hani felt his heart pounding and the fur on his shoulders rising. What the hell are they doing here?! 

Every once of Hani's being told him to turn tail and run, alert the clan that lions were in their territory. But as much as he wanted to, his legs were stuck in place. The hyena found himself frozen in place, the day of his father's death replaying in his mind. Was that horrid event day about to repeat itself?

But instead the lion and what Hani now noticed to be a lioness looked at one another and turned their own tails, departing into the deep Outlands. Even though his heart was still racing, Hani forced his legs forward, step by step. Even though he was afraid the hyena still had a subconscious resolve to figure out what was happening. Looking back, it was clear for Hani to see that the two felines were looking at Nakala just as he was. Drawing from any courage still felt in his body, the hyena kept a distance but followed behind the lion and lioness, now determined to find out their relation to Nakala. Did they know him? Did he bring them here? Was it all some big plan to bring his own kind to the clan and turn the hyenas into a feast?

The two ahead of him broke out into a run across the sandy dunes of the Outland desert. He Hani picked up his own pace and followed after them, remembering a time his father brought him out in harsh land to teach him some survival tactics. But thankfully for Hani the sun was set, a cool breeze cooled his fur and brought him a calmed sense of determination. As he ran Hani kept his eyes on the two figures ahead of him, having a strange sense that they would lead him to just what he's been looking for. The dunes slowly thinned out and the ground beneath his paws gradually hardened. Over the horizon stood massive pillars of earth. Hani didn't have time to be stunned at the lion and lioness weaved around the pillars. Hani kept his eyes on them both while he also weaved around the pillars, seeing there many crawling bugs on them.

Getting past the mounds he caught sight of the lion and lioness disappearing into a den. Hani had no doubt it was the den of the pride they came from. Now all he had to do was somehow get in there and find out what they knew about Nakala. He scanned his surroundings as he approached, seeing nothing around him. But as he approached the cavern a heavy weight was applied to his back, forcing the hyena to the ground.

"Well, well, well. What do we have here?" a rough voice purred in the struggling hyena's ear.

"Lele! You find something?" Hani could see another lioness approach and stand over him.

"Caught this little guy trying to sneak in the den," the hefty lioness pinning down Hani laughed.

"You must have some kind of death wish. Can't wait to hear what Zira's gonna say about this," the two lioness forced Hani to his paws and shoved him forward. He entered the cave, only to be met with with countless lioness looking back him. Some had confused looks on their muzzles while others wore an aggressive snarl. Hani's throat felt dry and his legs shook with each step. He quickly regretted coming all, sure that he was going to be lioness food.