Chapter 54

Upon returning to the clan Janja and Nakala went into the caverns, searching empty dens for any sign of a traitor. Chungu and Amana asked various hyenas about a suspicious activity happening lately. Bunga had to simply wait outside the cavern, being told that he couldn't just walk onto hyena territory and they didn't have time to introduce him to all of them.

Soon Kion, Janja, and Amana all gathered together in the entrance.

"Find anything out of the ordinary?" Janja asked the others.

"Nobody I asked noticed anything lately..." Amana shook her head.

"There's gotta be something we missed..." the lion stamped his paw into the ground. "I hope Chungu found something..." As if on cue the large hyena returned to the rest with his ears folded back, a concerned look on his face.

"What's wrong, Chungu? Did you find something?" Nakala asked.

"I...I can't find Cheezi anywhere," Chungu whimpered. "I've searched everywhere for him. No one else has seen him either." He was afraid that it might be a sign. He hoped that the small hyena was just gone for some other reason. Even the members of the dawn patrol he joined had all returned except for the small hyena. The rest of the group looked among each other, the same worry spreading to the rest of them.

"We'd better check his den...." Amana recommended. Following behind her they padded through the caverns to the den Cheezi called his own. Nakala and Janja stepped inside, scanning the carved out space. Janja couldn't see anything in particular out of the ordinary, only a bed of dried leaves that made a bed to lay on. Nakala couldn't see anything either but he picked up something. A scent that made the lion inhale deeply. Janja looked over at the lion's nose sniffing at the air. Nakala stepped in the den, following the scent to the source. Janja followed close behind him to a corner of the den. Nakala huffed hungrily at the corner. It was blood, fresh blood that made the lion's mouth water. Janja pushed the lion to the side to see for himself.

"Nakala, snap out of it! Take a look at this..." Nakala focused on the hyena's words. Once he did he gave a gasp. The blood. It was streaked in straight and curved lines, coming together to make an image.

"That looks like...the volcano," Janja was sure of it. The image was drawn crudely in blood but it was clear to see what it was meant to be. The volcano farther off in the Outlands, surrounded by truly dead lands. Black scorched earth, and withered trees that would fall apart with the smallest touch. The only either Janja or Nakala went near there were the years before when Nakala was first brought to the Outlands before Scar. It was a small spot of land, crueler than the rest of Outlands. The perfect place to hide a princess, under normal circumstances no one would even think of going there.

"Of course," Nakala nodded, turning away from the blood. Janja went back to tell the rest of what they found, leaving the lion alone. If Cheezi did take Kiara to the volcano then they would have to act quickly. There was no telling what could happen to her, considering he could be working with Zira. He followed Janja out of the den.

He joined the rest just time to hear Janja filling the rest in. "We gotta get to the volcano in the Deadlands and fast. There's no telling what Zira could have Cheezi do to her." Amana nodded firmly in understanding, Chungu carried a concerned look on his muzzle. But as Janja's gaze fell on him the large hyena gave a nod as well. Nakala came forwards with a determined look on his muzzle. "We're all ready if you are," Janja told him.

"Then let's go," with those simple words they were off once again.

Outside the caverns Bunga sat bored in the dirt, waiting for Nakala to return. His wish was quickly granted as Nakala burst from the cave with those other hyenas from before. "Come on, Bunga! We're figured out where Kiara is!" The honey badger sprung from his spot in the dirt, running towards the lion. Nakala bent down a little, allowing Bunga to spring in the air and hop on the lion's back. He held on tight as Nakala took off. Janja, Chungu, and Amana ran beside him, each of them determined to get to the volcano and stop Cheezi.

Kiara stirred from her sleep, her eyes slowly opening. All around her felt hot and she couldn't move at all. She looked around to see that she was in some kind of cave with an open ceiling. In front of her she could see someone else with her.

"Hey you! Where am I? Help me get free," the lioness called to the creature turning it's back towards her.

"You're in a volcano," the small hyena simply said, turning around to face her. Kiara gasped, recognizing the hyena as one who would invade the Pride Lands alongside Janja many times in the past. "I brought you here. I had some help, but they're gone now... I'm all by myself." Cheezi carried a sorrowful look. Kiara twisted around to see the plume of smoke rising over the edge she was only a few feet away from. She was really was in a volcano right now, with no way to get free... She couldn't reach the thick vines that tied her up with her muzzle.

Cheezi's ears flicked, hearing something in the distance. He gave whimper, knowing that they would figure it out eventually. He made the picture just like Zira told him to. It was only a matter of time before they came up to the top. He would wait for them, keeping the princess bound. There was nothing else he could do and nowhere else he could go. Ignoring the lioness' words and other noises, Cheezi got up and strode towards her.

"They'll be here soon and they'll save you. Don't worry," Cheezi whispered to her. And I can save myself.