Chapter 60

Nakala laid next to Janja in their den, he could see that the hyena was still on edge and could only imagine what was going through his mind. Nakala himself wasn't entirely sure if he would be able to sleep. The whole day seemed like a big blur, all the major events blending into one. Images of Kiara, Cheezi and Zira flashed in his mind, reminding the lion that the danger was very real at the moment.

What Nakala didn't know was that Janja was indeed worried that night. But instead of being worried about the clan or even some kind of new foe coming after them he was worried about Nakala. He noticed the lion hadn't said anything since he told the clan about Cheezi. There was no doubt the lion must have a lot on his mind and Janja didn't want his mate to mull over it all by himself.

"Hey, Kala? I know everything's been crazy and all but...How ya holding up?" Janja asked, taking the lion by surprise.

"I-I don't know," Nakala answered honestly with a sigh. It was something he tried not to think too much about. But Cheezi was a good friend to him and the entire clan. As far as Nakala knew before, everything Cheezi did was for the good of the glad. The idea that he was working with Zira never would have crossed his mind. "He was a good hyena despite it all."

Janja gave a growl but nodded. "Yeah, he was." He snarled again, glancing at the lion, seeing a concerned look on his face. "Sorry, I'm just pissed off...and scared." He felt so conflicted on the inside. One part of his mind was reminding of all the good times he had with Cheezi and another part of his mind was making the fallen hyena as some kind of traitor.

Nakala said nothing but 'kept his gaze on Janja, making sure to let his mate know he was listening.

"Cheezi was one of my best friends and hearing that you're best friend was going behind your back...It hurts," Janja admitted, a rawness rising from his voice. Everything he felt but didn't say before, this was the hyena's chance to be honest with himself. "I'm scared, Nakala. Because I don't know who I can trust anymore.."

"You can trust Amana, you can trust Chungu and you can trust me." Nakala said in a soft but reassuring tone. "I thought about that, too. But I noticed that when you told everyone that Cheezi was gone everyone had the same look on their face. It looks like it was just Cheezi. But we're still in a tight spot. Now we're stuck between the Pride Lands and Zira's pride, too. Both sides have it out for us and the only ones who can help are ourselves."

The lion's words sent shudder down the hyena's back. The talk he had with his mate did make him feel better, "I think we should get some sleep."

Despite not feeling tired at all, the lion cuddled close to his mate and closed his eyes. Once again flashes of everything that happened entered his mind but the lion forced them away. Instead Nakala thought only of Janja and all the times they spent together and how the hyena was always there for him. He felt a warmness spread throughout his body, along with a feeling of ease. The lion was sure that times would be tough from now on but as long as he had Janja by his side there wouldn't be anything he couldn't handle.

Before either Nakala or Janja knew it the two mates were fast asleep, bundled close to one another. Just as Nakala was thinking of Janja, the hyena filled his mind with thoughts of the lion. For as long as he knew Nakala, the lion had quickly become someone he could depend on and as time went on and they grew closer Nakala became Janja's anchor. He knew that he could always depend on Nakala when times got tough. It was thoughts like those that gave the hyena enough ease to slowly drift to sleep.

"Remember," Mzeli's voice whispered into the sleeping lion's dream. "As a predator the need to rip into flesh and tear away the life of others is as simple as breathing for you. Please hear me, Nakala. You. Are. Running. Out. Of. Time."

Nakala stirred from his sleep, looking around the den. The lion could have sworn he heard something but found nothing but him and Janja. With a shrug and a yawn he settled back down, laying close to Janja and closing his eyes.