Chapter 4 - A waste of time -

Talking. Laughter. I was moving. My head felt dizzy and was laying on hard wooden ground. My body was shaking and this time I hadn't as much control as I had on the carriage of Yurga. I listened to the conversation of the two I saw before I got unconscious. The voices were rather high. Children? I frowned and opened one eye to check if there was anybody else. I was on a small carriage, you couldn't even call that carriage, it was just a possibility to transport wood or branches, my legs were hanging out of it even. 

Nobody was around, it was just the two young elves. They were talking, laughing even, not paying attention to me what got me into a position of advantage. As noiseless as I could I sat up and examined the two in front of me, they sat on two smaller horses, ponies, who carried the 'carriage'. Amber was nowhere around. I hope that she panicked a little and, I know she'd do that, go to a place she knows that is safe. The young elves were clearly inexperienced in what they wanted to do, my swords and potions I had were all still where I had them. With Axii I distracted them to jump off of that carriage and let them ride ahead.

I was staying still in my tracks and watched the two ride off. With a satisfied smile, I turned on my heel and walked along the path where I could still see the small tracks of the 'carriage'. It wasn't too far but still too much, another half of a day gone for that interruption. I looked around for any signs of Amber but they soon ended. What? Where did she go? I turned on my heel, again, to look behind me for further more tracks. I nearly had a heart attack when Amber suddenly stood right in front of me. "Do never, I repeat: never, do that again." I scolded her. Why didn't I notice her with my Witcher senses? Must be still from that blowpipe of these elves. I put a hand on my nape, around there where I got hit. First time not being together with Geralt and I almost got myself kidnapped by some children. I groaned.

I jumped on Amber to continue the ride. Great, I wasted the whole day on the ride for just some teeny tiny kilometres. I could easily arrive at Lyria tomorrow if not for that incident. "Come now, mother's sure happy to see us." I said while rolling my eyes. Maybe she will but I won't. Hopefully, she doesn't try to turn me into a 'real princess' again.

Anyway, I couldn't just stay around, could I? So I continue my journey towards the kingdom of Lyria and Rivia, hoping to find Geralt on my way and maybe, with or without him, the child surprise. My stomach grumbled the moment Amber made her first step. Great. Have to stop at a tavern, if there's one around. My coin should be enough for a room and food, afterwards, it's getting critical. Have to take a job there. I groaned, another day or two lost by that. If it continues like that I'll never find Geralt nor the child surprise. If only I had Jaskier here to sing that song, maybe that would change my financial problems.

"Toss a coin to your Witcher
O' valley of plenty"

I started singing the song nearly not audible, it was like a humming but if one listened carefully there was clearly a singing voice. I was just lonely, alright. Don't know when I felt this lonely last time. Thought we'd have a honeymoon or so but no. How do we spend the first month, or who knows how long it will take..., as a married couple? Separated. 

The sun started to set and the grumbling of my stomach got worse. I put a hand over it to shush it but it didn't sop. I could see the exit of the forest and hoped to find a tavern there. Amber was tired as well and I stroked her neck a little to comfort her. "You'll get to rest soon." I whispered to her as I lowered my head a little so she could hear me better without me screaming into her ear. I made a relieved sound when I indeed saw a building with two floors and smoke coming from its chimney. I hopped off of Amber and attached her reins to the small shelter with some hay and water for the horses. I put my hood over my head and patted Ambers shoulder for her to relax. 

I opened the door to the tavern. It wasn't filled much, about half full. I sat at the bar and ordered an ale and a plate of food. "Anything else, miss?" the maid asked me as she placed the things I ordered down. "A room for the night." the fact that it is now Mrs for me, I simply ignored. "Of course. That'll be 50 ducats." she said and I took my small leather back with coin and poured its contains on the counter for her to collect it. My last money. "Is there a monster nearby by any chance?" I asked after I took a huge gulp out of my mug. The maid thought for a second. "Oh, there is!" she exclaimed and raised her index finger. "Some people who go near the woods at the water go missing. We are too afraid of finding them ourselves. Why are you asking?" she explained and then asked. I rolled my eyes a little. Thank god she was able to pour some ale into a mug. "Because I could solve that problem. Is there any more information about this monster?" I asked her and she thought again.

"There actually is." a tall bald man with broad shoulders said and pushed the maid gently away. "The night the people disappear we hear the wolves. There's no monster. It's just the wolves being hungry and fetching everything they can get to bite." he said and I put my thumb against my chin. "I noticed a high population of crows in the woods. Do you hear them, too?" I asked and the man nodded. "Yes, perhaps they're getting the rest of the rotten flesh from the bodies." he stated in a matter of fact for him. The maid punched him. "How can you say that? My brother went missing too!" she shouted and then crossed her arms over her chest. "Or you got yourselves a Leshy in those woods of yours."