Chapter 42 - Jaskier -

The dwarves helped me out by giving me a new horse. A black cart-horse with a wavy mane. Not my usual type but don't look a gift horse in the mouth. "Look, I understand that what's-her-demon wants to eat your Child Surprise and all, and I'm happy to help save her, but you never even wanted this child in the first place, and now... now it's like she has turned your entire world upside down. I guess, what I'm really asking you is... is this what pleases you?" Jaskier held his monologue as he walked next to me and the horse. "I thought ignoring Ciri's existence would make everything better. I was wrong."

"What about Evelyn? She hasn't met her and now this witch just ran off with Ciri." Jaskier said and I nodded slightly. "If she's hurt Ciri, I may have to kill her." I said and gave Jaskier a quick look down before my gaze went back to the path. "Oh, no, well, obviously we'll kill her. We'll definitely kill her. I just haven't found a good enough jabbing stick yet. But what if she's changed too?" he asked. I frowned and looked at him with no answer. "People do stupid things when they think they're trapped in a corner, Geralt. And they say stupid things. That's what friends do. They come back." he said.

"This is different." I said. Jaskier nodded with a depressed nod and his lips pressed into a thin line. "And I'm sorry, Jaskier." I said. "Gah, you are always so emotional! I mean, it's just yap, yap, yap with you sometimes. 'Oh, Jaskier, I'm so sad and complicated!'" he imitated me what actually amused me a little and brought a small smile to my lips. "Shut up, Jaskier." I said, not really meaning it. "You shut up. That's a perfect impression of you, by the way."

Evelyn's pov

Gods, how long has it been now? Weeks? Months? Years? I'm going insane in this fortress without Geralt to keep me sane. "Vesemir, is there anything else to do in here?" I asked as I laid on one of the couches with my head hanging down from it and my legs over the lean of it. The smell on the wolf's fur that was lying on it was still there, nearly unnoticeable for a Witcher. "You've already cleaned every sword, brought meat for the rest of the month and brewed so many potions that I think we'll never need to make any more." he said as he looked up from the fire in which he was poking with a metal stick. I sighed and let my head hang there in boredom.

I heard a horse coming through the front gate. I sat up and frowned. "You invited anybody?" I asked and walked towards the door. Vesemir shook his head and I kept on walking towards the door and opened it a little to see who it was. My eyes widened when I saw the purple leather coat on that bard who left me in Lyria. I pushed the door open but he didn't notice me yet. He had a girl along with him. Her blonde hair was braided in a messy ponytail and there were scratched on her face.

"Jaskier." I called him with my arms folded in front of my chest. He turned around with wide eyes and he extended his arms. He chuckled nervously as I approached them with my arms still crossed. I raised my brow at him. "Uh- I can explain." he started knowing exactly what I was talking about. "Then, go ahead. Explain." I demanded. The girl stood awkwardly beside the horse and a little behind Jaskier. "I was somehow wanted for escorting elves to Cintra from Oxenfurt." he stuttered out and I raised a brow. "You couldn't tell me that?" I asked and unfolded my arms. He bit his lip. "I could have but you had enough trouble on your heel already." 

I sighed and rolled my eyes. I extended my arms and he sighed in relief along with a smile on his lips as he accepted my hug. "You can always tell me, okay?" I asked him and he nodded against my shoulder. When we separated I looked over at the girl and I squinted my eyes. "I know you." I said and let my gaze wander all over her. "We've met in Cintra. But I highly doubt that your name's Fiona." I said and nodded at her. She cleared her throat. "No, it's not. My name's-" I interrupted her. "Princess Cirilla. I know." I said and she looked at me with a tilted head. 

"You never told me your name at the market." the blonde girl said and approached me with cautious steps. "It's Evelyn." I introduced myself and her eyes shot wide open. "You're Evelyn?" she asked and pointed at me. I nodded confused. "Yes. Why?" I asked and stepped a little closer to inspect this Child Surprise of Geralt and me. "He barely spoke of you but you're Geralt's wife?" she asked to clarify. I frowned. He barely spoke of me? 

"Where is he? Don't tell me he left you with her." I said and looked over at Jaskier. He shrugged. "He told me to bring her here. It's only a matter of time, I guess, until he and Yennefer arrive here." he stated and I nodded and grit my teeth. "He was supposed to protect her. I appreciate that you brought her here but let's be honest, Jask, some drowned and that would've been it." I said and he playfully scoffed. "Excuse me." he said and put a hand on his chest. "Are you alright?" I asked Ciri who then nodded and started walking inside. I nodded at Jaskier and started to follow the girl into the fortress.

"How long have you travelled?" I asked the bard on the way. "We came here from Cintra." he explained and I raised my brows in surprise. "Cintra? Why were you there?" I asked him and he looked at the girl in front of us. "Yennefer kind of kidnapped her." he explained and my jaw dropped. "She did what?" I exclaimed and massaged the bridge of my nose. "Yeah, she lost her magic and in some fucked up way Ciri was to help her." I shook my head in disbelieve.