Chapter 44 - A matter of cost -

He held my hands and stood frozen on the spot. Geralt was, for the first time maybe, speechless. "Why are you here?" he asked and he didn't even blink, as if I'd disappear as soon as he'd do so. I huffed a laugh and brushed a hand along his upper arm. "I'm happy to see you too, Geralt." I smirked which he returned, still stunned. "I assume we have to postpone this. I believe, finding Ciri now is more important." I said and nodded ad started to remove the roots that grew on the spot that would hold him there. 

He started to walk out into the hall. It was already chaotic there. The others must've caught onto what happened, I believe just as barely as I had, and were now looking for her as well. "Stay here, I can't have you hurt." he said over his shoulder. I frowned and pulled him back on his shoulder, which was covered in a new set of armour. "We're past this, Geralt. I won't let you leave me this easily again. You're stuck with me." I said at which he groaned with amusement and I could clearly see the grin he was hiding behind the new role of an even bigger protector.

We rushed down halls and heard blades taken out of their holders and shouting like. "To the armory!" and "Find Ciri!" we had to make sure we'd find her before the others would. We crossed paths with Vesemir who just walked out of Gwain's room. "Your fight's not with Ciri." Geralt said which caught Vesemir's attention. he approached us and we could see that he'd taken cat already. "When you took Eskel down, it broke me. But you were right. It had to be done. Same as now. Ciri has to be eliminated." As soon as these words left Vesemir's mouth, Geralt's expression changed into rage and... and sadness perhaps or even disappointment. "Daughter or demon, she has done too much damage." Vesemir added.

"Witchers don't kill out of fear. They kill to save lives."Geralt quoted Vesemir. He said that on many occasions. "I said that." Vesemir approached with my thoughts. Geralt nodded. "It feels like bullshit now." the older Witcher admitted and turned his back to us to walk away. "Eskel, Remus, Gascadan, Sorel, Gwain. There were too many medallions hanging on that tree. But spilling Ciri's blood won't bring them back." Geralt said. Vesemir turned around again with a frown only to have Geralt place his hand on his shoulder. 

"You thought she was strong enough to be the next Witcher. Just like I was. She can survive this. She needs you. We need you." Geralt said while not breaking eye contact. Vesemir's lip trembled, not finding the words. "Wolf-" he started. "I'll convince Voleth Meir to leave Ciri's body. Once the demon's out, once she's back in her corporeal form, we'll trap her." Geralt suggested. I frowned and bit the insides of my cheeks. "Will it work?" I asked to get involved in the conversation. "I don't know." Geralt answered truthfully and glanced sideways over at me. "But our best chance is with you, Vesemir." he said, and which Vesemir just sighed.

"Please. If you don't trust me, trust Evelyn." he said. Vesemir looked over at me with raised brows. I nodded slightly at him but he didn't answer. Instead, he pushed Geralt away sightly and walked past us. As we turned around, we saw Yennefer standing in the hall. I frowned. Why is she even here? I don't understand what's going on here. Geralt took my wrist into his own and placed it around his elbow. I looked up at him and just wrapped my arm around it as he held his hand above mine. He didn't even look at Yennefer as we walked past her. 

Finding Ciri had us searching the whole fortress until we eventually landed on the terrace behind the main hall. "Things were easier when we stood here just to watch the snow falling." I said as we roamed the place cautiously with our swords in hands. Geralt huffed a laugh. "You mean right after heated hours under the blanket without much sleep." he smirked which he quickly dropped. There was a tinkling coming from behind the big doors. Geralt and I exchanged a look and nods until we opened the door to see Ciri standing with her back towards us and facing the medallion tree. 

"You don't want to escape." Geralt thought loudly. With slow but knowing steps he approached her and pushed me behind him a little. I rolled my eyes and followed him. I know he feels more at ease when he knows that I am protected by him but I can protect myself. The few months separated from each other should prove this. 

"So many gone." Ciri, or the Deathless Mother through her, spoke while looking at the big variety and amount of medallions that were hanging from the branches. "Devoured by this hellish Continent." she said and, even we couldn't see her face, the smile on her face was undeniable. "I-" he started and looked over at me then back at Ciri. "We want Ciri back. Name your price." he demanded and she lowered her gaze. Lambert's voice approached us as Ciri turned around to face us.

"It's not a question of price." The door slammed shut right after she said that and the other Witchers started to circle her. "It's a matter of cost. Mak your ask." she said calmly. "Release her, and you can have me." I interrupted before Geralt could say something just as stupid as this. Geralt shot me a glare with wide eyes. Ciri chuckled and approached us. "That is enticing. What glorious pain we could create together." She said and stepped right in front of me. I could feel her breath against my cheek. I clenched my jaw and just glared at her. "It's too late for that." she smiled.

"Geralt!" Jaskier shouted as he came running into the room. My gaze shot over to him. What's he doing here?! He should be in his room, or outside, in the basement, wherever but not here! He held a Jasper in his hands. "Yennefer told me..." he interrupted himself and stopped as he saw the scene in front of him. "Shehhi." he cursed silently. "You're busy. You're busy. Yeah." he mumbled and walked over to the tables. 

The other Witchers drew their swords which only made Ciri smirk. She turned around and started to scream. It was so high pitched it made the room vibrate and our ears nearly bleed. The tree started to develop cracks in the middle and broke apart. Medallions clinked as they fell to the ground and one half of the tree fell sideways. A black pillar was now holding its place. Ciri's scream faded and the wind started to howl inside the hall. "What the fuck?"