Chapter 45 - What the fuck kind of Basilisks -

"Ciri!" Geralt shouted at the possessed girl. She was turning around after sending a challenging grin towards us. She screamed the same terrible and loud scream again and thus the monolith shattered into million pieces that seemed to stay in place and shape of the monolith. As soon as Ciri stopped screaming she turned back to us and sent the sharp black pieces in our direction. The two Witchers who stood right in front of her weren't lucky enough to have time to shield themselves with Quen. I turned my head towards Geralt. He had Quen up just as I had. 

The sharp edges swooshed through the room like arrows but much deadlier. For a second the immense wind stopped but it was only for it to change directions and have the pieces return to Ciri, still aiming at us. The parts of the monolith floated behind Ciri in circular movements, forming a portal. A low growl and a hiss escaped the portal before two creatures with snakeheads and basilisk-like bodies emerged. "What the fuck kind of basilisks are those?" Lambert asked, his voice was only muffled. "I'll tell you after I kill 'em." Coen answered. I looked briefly over my shoulder towards them. 

"I won't let her have you, Ciri." Geralt muttered next to me. Ciri looked between us and then the creatures she had just summoned. They roared before charging in different ways. Coen was the first to be attacked. Lambert raised his swords and lunged at the same beast with a loud 'Fuck!'. It wasn't long before he got thrown at a table, which quickly broke underneath the impact. Vesemir ran up to Geralt and me. "Is anyone protecting the bard?!" I exclaimed as I looked around the room with panic in my chest. "Will you be alright?" I asked him and looked up at Geralt. He just nodded and I followed the other Witchers who were still busy trying to figure out how to kill those things.

Aard had nearly no effect on them. Axii wouldn't work either, I believe. Hopefully, silver does. It was difficult finding a pattern that would match the irregular attempt to bite my head off and I was barely able to even strike this thing. Maybe a scratch here and there but there wasn't much more we could do. In between, I dared to look away sometimes to find any clue of Jaskier's whereabouts. "Geralt!" Vesemir exclaimed which let me spin on my heel in his direction. He was in a barrier made out of Yrden with Ciri. "Watch out!" Lambert shouted and pushed me out of the way. He pushed me into the next table to protect me from getting my head chopped off from that thing.

I groaned as the air got pressed out of my lungs when my back hit the edge of the table. It let me stumble and fall down. "Right the wron- Oh fucking hell!" I heard Jaskier exclaim right behind me as he was crawling underneath the table. I turned my head towards him. "Are you alright?" I asked in a groggy voice. "Well, taking the circumstances into consideration... No." he said. "I don't see how things could get any wronger, Yennefer." he cursed the sorceress under his breath as he fumbled around underneath the table to get closer to me. 

I rolled underneath the table to dodge the foot of one of the basilisks. Jaskier yelped in surprise as a few boards got cracked in half by the foot. "You stay here." I instructed and crouched to not pull myself out of this on my stomach. Not very lady-like if you ask me but that's not the issue now. "Evelyn- agh. Fuck it." I heard Jaskier shout but I wouldn't turn back now. He was rather safe under that table as long as it doesn't get destroyed. 

I grimaced a little as soon as I heard the cracking sound of bones and then the thud of a headless Witcher a few metres away from me. The beast looked then towards me and hissed, its snake-tongue letting a few drops of blood falling down. The screams of help and grunts, mine with them, were now louder than the whooshing of Yrden in the back of the room. I just barely managed to ram my sword in the upper half of the monster's mouth to not have myself eaten alive. It wiggled with the blade in its mouth and nearly lifted me up with it as it raised its head again. 

Vesemir slashed his blade in the basilisk's neck which gave me an opportunity to retrieve my sword. I nodded at him but then looked over at Geralt again who was now facing Ciri alone. At the moment I was distracted, again, the tail of the creature sent Vesemir flying across a table and the second after that Vartok lost a hand. I tightened the grip around my blade and lunged at the beast. The torso, the arms and the neck got several cuts and deep wounds but it didn't let go of Vartok and instead adjusted its bite and went for the neck to then throw him against a pillar.

"Geralt!" Jaskier shouted. I whipped around and frowned. Didn't I tell him to stay where he was? "Geralt! Yennefer told me to give you this!" he shouted and crawled further away from the safety of the table. "Fuck." I muttered under my breath as boards and rocks from pillars and walls came flying his way. I rushed over to him and slid over the ground to make it n time to block a heavy board that would have probably knocked im out. He flinched and grimaced as he realised it. He gulped and then turned back to Geralt. "It's- it's balance and heat and...  you can't hear me." he muttered and I was too busy to somehow help the others with those unkillable beasts. "Geralt!" he shouted as a Witcher whose face was now missing fell right in front f him. 

"Why won't you die?" I exclaimed as I slashed my sword several times through the thing but it doesn't seem to be bothered by it. The voice of Ciri speaking in Elder echoed through the room. Gosh, please don't let her summon even more of them.