Chapter 16 - A thing for princesses -

Kaer Morhen was silent. Only the wind blowing fresh snow in my face. I had my hood pulled deep into my face to prevent the cold from creeping into my bones. I pushed the large doors open and the warmth engulfed me at what I sighed satisfied. I dodged as a hatchet flew over my head and hit the door. I looked from the weapon to its thrower and saw Lambert smirking at me. I smirked back and let my hood fall on my shoulders. I started laughing at what he joined.

I approached him and we shared a brotherly hug. "Lambert, you still reek of pepper vodka." I said and he snorted. "And you still look like a goat." he said at what I hit his shoulder. "Vesemir!" I exclaimed and went to hug him as well. "Welcome home, Evelyn." he greeted me and pat my back. After we separated I looked around the room. "Who are they?" I asked Vesemir and pointed the three men also wearing a wolven medallion around their necks. "Everard, Gawain and Merek. Wolves that finally found their way home." he explained and I nodded at them with a wave.

Out of the door came another. "Coen! Where have you hid yourself the last winters?" I asked and the piece of bread he held in his hands fell to the ground. "Eve!" He shouted through the hall and charged at me to pull me into a hug. I laughed. "Where is that whoreson Eskel? He owes me a round of Gwent." I said and chuckled. Nobody joined. I looked around. Everyone's heads hung low. "Guys?" I asked and Vesemir sighed. "Listen, we had an incident here with a Leshy." he started to explain. "He died." Vesemir said and it felt like everything moved in slow motion. "He died?" I asked to confirm the words he just said. Everyone nodded. I sighed deeply. "Have you hung up his medallion yet?" I asked and Vesemir nodded. "May he rest now." I said and tapped my own medallion. 

One of the three unknown to me approached me with a suspicious glare. "And who the hell are you?" he asked and crossed the line of personal space. I could smell the ale he drank. Well, I also could do that when he was the former distance but now a normal human would too. "Evelyn, princess of Rivia and Lyria. A Witcher." I introduced myself and the guy in front of me snorted and took a few steps back. "Another fucking princess." he laughed. "Of Rivia, huh?" another one asked. "Do you know Geralt of Rivia by any chance?" he asked with a provoking smile which I returned. 

"I do yes." I said and crossed my arms. "How?" the first one, Everard, asked. "Oh, uh, I don't know," I started and they almost began laughing. "because he's my husband." I clarified and the jaws dropped. "You didn't invite me, Evelyn!" Lambert complained and shook me by the shoulders. "No one was invited. Hey, I'll tell you the story after we have clarified some things, alright?" I asked and Lambert and Vesemir, who was as well shocked and maybe disappointed just like Lambert, nodded.

"You said another princess." I said and pointed at Everard. He nodded. "Who was she?" he shrugged. "Cirilla of Cintra." he said and I clapped my hands. "She didn't find the way here all by herself, now did she?" I asked, knowing she hasn't. "No, Geralt brought her here." As he said that I started cheering. I ruffled through my hair. "Alright. Where is he?" I asked and began walking through the hall with quick steps to go to the room where we'd always stay. "Not here." Lambert said and I stopped in my tracks. "Then where is he?"

"He's at the Temple of the Melitele with Ciri." Vesemir answered and the gears in my head started working. "Where's that?" I asked another question. Vesemir walked over to me and put a hand on each of my upper arms. "Eve, sit down with us, have a drink and warm yourself up. He'll return soon." He said and pushed a mug in my direction as we stood in front of a table where he pushed me onto the bench to sit down. 

"Now, the story of how you and Geralt just married without telling anyone." Lambert demanded and sat down at the table. "Gonna rip his arse open for not saying a word. Can you believe that, he just showed up here with a child but without you!" Lambert said and delayed my storytelling. "I almost thought you coloured your hair and now suddenly went for dresses but no, Geralt brought another princess in. And if that wasn't enough already he brought a sorceress here as well a few days after - Triss Merigold." he said and I tilted my head. 

"Who's that?" I asked and Lambert shook his head and leaned back a little. "Triss helped Geralt once when he was attacked by a Striga." Vesemir explained. I nodded. "Striga, hm?" I mumbled. "Maybe Geralt does have a thing for princesses." I chuckled and took a sip from my mug. 

"Did Geralt mention anything that has happened the past few days?" I asked and watched the other Witchers shake their head. "Nothing?" I asked and raised my brows in surprise. "Well, Geralt never was much of a talker." Vesemir defended him. "He just showed up with Ciri here but without you. All he said was 'She'll be fine' about you." Lambert added to Vesemir's explanation. 

"That's the most romantic yet disgusting thing I've ever heard in my entire life." Lambert commented the story that happened on the Troubadour. "That's so unfair." Coen mumbled. I raised my brows. "What?" I questioned. "You know, everything. Geralt's probably the best looking from us all here, the most successful one with even his own bard and he got you." He said and gestured at me in the end. I flashed him a smile. "How does everyone put it? Brooding charm."