Chapter 35 - Portals are no fun -

"Oh, by the gods, that is awful." Jaskier groaned. "And I am going to find anything else to drink whilst you tell me why the hell your sad arse is here." he said and walked away from the bar. "You're the sandpiper." Yennefer said and Jaskier's head snapped towards her direction. "What? No. Yes. No. How do you know that name?" he asked with wide eyes. "You pick up a thing or two when you're in hiding." she explained. "You're in hiding?" he asked rather surprised. "Because you're part elf... Yennefer, I completely forgot. I'm so sorry." he said and approached her. 

"I would not wish that fate on my worst enemy, and, yes, you are firmly lodged in that category, it has to be said, but- what they've done to you and your people is unspeakable." He said and then looked around if anyone was around.  "But some people are speaking. There are anonymous benefactors working behind the scenes, helping me, helping us, helping us make this right." he explained and walked back to the bar. "Why help? What's in it for you?" she asked. 

"I was at the great oak Bleobheris when it was raided." he sat down on a barrel. "The Seat of Friendship the druids called it. Where every free thinker was welcome, no matter their race, their creed... They come for the elves, Yennefer. They'll come for the dwarves. And sooner or later, they will come for everyone. Anyone that they deem the 'other', so- Eventually no artist is safe." he said, meaning there was something for him in this deal. 

"Besides, at the end of the day, if I've learned one thing, it is that sometimes, legends can be intoxicating." he said and walked back to the bar with a new bottle in his hand, a green glass bottle, half-empty already. "Well, Sandpiper, the man, the myth, the legend," Jaskier's lips twitched upwards a little. "I need your help." she finished her sentence as another figure entered the room. A man with a dark green cloak, his hair and beard messy.

"Stand back! Stand back!" Jaskier started to shout and pointed the bottle with the disgusting content at him. Yennefer stood up and placed herself in front of the man. "He's with me. It's okay." she defended him. "I need to get to Cintra." Jaskier frowned and lowered the bottle. "The both of us." she then added and looked over her shoulder at the bearded man, a war criminal from Nilfgaard. To be exact, the black knight with the winged helmet.

"Well, I'll do what I can. But know this. You, you both," he started and leaned on the counter. Yennefer raised her brows, wanting to hear what important news he had to share. "smell truly awful. I mean, it is like something has crawled up your arses and died." he said. Yennefer rolled her eyes.

Jaskier walked around the counter. "We leave Oxenfurt at nightfall. Plenty of time to take a bath before then." he said and started to walk up the stairs and leave the two of them. "Just saying." he shouted down before disappearing fully. 

---

Geralt's pov

 I sharped my sword. As Triss walked into the room, I stopped and put the sword into the bag for it. I'll be leaving for Cintra to see for myself about this monolith. "Coen replenished your elixirs." she said and handed me the small bag. "Thank you." I said as I put it towards my other stuff, which I'll be needing in case there are more monsters of such kind. She fumbled with her fingers, clearly wanting to say something. I looked at her, knowing what she wanted to say. "Last night..." I started to get her into the conversation. "It's alright." she said. "I can't be what you want, Triss. Things are a little different now from when we first met." I said and she nodded and folded her hands behind her back. 

"I'm grown enough to understand that." she said and now folded her hand in front of her stomach and took a few steps towards me. "Last night, you were what I was looking for. Your pain... it excited me. Because I finally felt something again." she said, a little uneasy about this. "You mean after Sodden?" I asked her. I could see the marks on her neck but I assume they were just beginning there. "Most of us were cured after the battle." she said and want to cover her neck with her hand and the collar of her dress. "You can hardly see the marks, but..."

"Some wounds cannot be healed. I understand that more than you know." she looked up at me as I said that. "I hope that in your search to feel again you feel your value." I said and she smiled a little. "To Ciri?" she asked. I tilted my head. "To me." I smiled a little. "You are important to me, Triss. You always will be." she smiled at me.

"You're going to Cintra?" I heard Vesemir's voice behind me and turned around to see him. "You said you'd never go back there. Twice." he scolded me. "No Witcher yet has died of old age lying in bed dictating his will, Vesemir. I have a girl to protect and one to find. I can't just stay here." I said and Vesemir's lips pulled into a thin line. "I have a friend who studies monoliths. I can portal you to him." Triss suggested. I sighed. "Portals are no fun."

Nevertheless, she still opened a portal to send me there. Going there would take me a few days... over a week. "Stay back!" a man shouted and held his hand out with a magic barrier. He must be this friend of Triss. I hold my hand up, signalling that I was no threat. I sighed and put my hands on my hips, trying to get the nausea away. I sat down on a wooden stool and looked at him, out of breath. "You must be the mage." I said, slowely getting back to normal. "I know who I am. Who the fuck are you?" he asked, not putting the barrier down.