Chapter 23 - Instructor Vesemir -

Vesemir's person pov

It was another winter in Kaer Morhen. Two dozens of boys in Witcher training. Deglan put me on fencing training, for whatever reason I deserved this. I didn't do anything wrong, after all. I never do. I gave the boys swords to fight each other, that's the best training one could get. From time to time I checked on them, like now with a mug of ale in my hand. Well, Sven encouraged me to and interrupted our round of Gwent for this.

Two of them were fighting, one brought the other to the ground before he frowned when he saw me and charged in my direction. "You ain't fed us in days! We ain't given sleep, can barely stand up. Now you got us playing with swords?" he asked and pointed his sword at me. I smirked and emptied my mug. "I don't wish to be here any more than you do." I said and pulled out my dagger and disarmed him with a quick move.

"I'll hazard a guess." I said and threw the empty mug in the direction of the boy, that was now sitting on the ground next to the others. "You all imagine there are better fates for you out there in the world." The boy held his sword close and defensive. "But out there, you have nothing." I said and charged at him with my dagger which he dodged quite nicely with his sword. "But here, we offer strength. Purpose." I continued and kept attacking him which he still managed at the beginning but then crashed into the wooden wall, which was there for hanging up training armour. 

His sword flew through the air and I caught it, then pointed it at him. "Respect. A chance at surviving the very horrors waiting out there. If you don't want that, then this..." I threw the sword on the ground. "is wasted on you."

"Vesemir, give me a break." she huffed as her fingers were bleeding already from the hard training. I grunted and placed my sword in my palm, but upside down, so the tip was buried in the snow. A chuckle came from the entrance. Geralt was standing there with crossed arms. "Weren't you the one scolding me, when I was a boy for overdoing my training?" he asked and approached us. I huffed a laugh. 

He took Evelyn's hands into his own and examined them. He brushed over her fingertips at what she hissed a little. "You should wash them and smear some bear fat on them." he said and put a hand on her back to push her into the fortress. He sat on the small stone wall, which was covered in snow, and crossed his arms. "You still are quite the instructor you were when I was young." he said and walked over to me and copied my movement.

"Why did you bring her here?" I asked and he unfolded my arms. He raised a brow. "First you bring this sorceress, Triss and now her? Triss saved you, I understand but she?" I asked. "Kaer Morhen is supposed to be locked away from the public's knowledge." I started to scold him. "She's a friend." he said. He stopped briefly before he said 'friend'. I huffed a laugh. "A friend, huh? You share a room with your 'friend' and expect me not to know better?" I asked him and his mouth opened slightly. 

"You- know that we share a room?" he asked rather surprised. "Why so surprised, Wolf? I knew when you sneaked out with Lambert at night to sneak some alcohol from the kitchen when you were just boys." I chuckled which he joined with a defeated sigh at the end. "I wanted to bring her here, because- well, I can't deny her any wish." he said and scratched his neck. "Ha!" I laughed and pat his back. "I know what that feels like. I'm happy that your story turned out luckier than mine." I said and he nodded with a small smile. 

Without another word he headed back into the fortress.

Geralt's pov

I helped Ciri down from Roach, her gaze trailing off to the fortress. "This is your home?" Ciri asked. According to the sound of her voice, she wasn't as enthralled by Kaer Morhen as Evelyn was. They both were princesses, yet only one of them admitted to being one. "How many did you say there were?" she asked as I took off Roach's reins. "I didn't." I said and approached her. She had sceptical looks going around the walls of the front. 

"Last I checked we were 20." I said. Some came for the winter, some didn't but I knew, by the medallion tree, that they were not all gone. "Now? Maybe less." I stated. We were less. Evelyn wasn't here and I don't know if she will this winter or any winter at all anymore. I started my way towards the entrance and with uneasy steps, Cirilla followed me. "You sure we're safe here?" she asked as the wind kept howling through the yard. "Keep up." I simply said. 

I opened the door and the room was filled with mumbling, laughter and cursing. "Lambchop." Coen insulted Lambert and the room fell silent as we entered the building. "Hide the vodka, before Evelyn finds it." One of them whispered. I took off my hood and glared at them. Then I looked at Ciri who was already giving me yet again sceptical looks. I nodded a little at her to reassure her, that we were safe.

As I walked closer, Lambert stood up and approached me. "Where the fuck have you been?" he asked and crossed his arms. "We thought you got lost... or maybe on a honeymoon." Coen said and snickered to himself a little. "Or killed." another one threw into the round. "Not yet. Sorry." I said what made Lambert laugh. "Brother." he exclaimed and we shared a hug. 

"Wolf. You're home." Vesemir spoke as he appeared from the back of the room. "Finally." he said and his glare said everything: 'Where did you leave Evelyn?' "Vesemir." I greeted him. He then looked at Ciri who walked up beside me. "Yeah. I had to make a few stops." I explained more or less.