Chapter 14 - A very long story -

The halls of the palace weren't as empty as they used to be when I visited last time. The people living here were now roaming the halls and different rooms instead of the gardens or elsewhere outside the building. "Anyone seen my mother?" I asked around as I wanted to tell her that Jaskier and I would be leaving now. Everyone shook their head, too stunned to speak by my appearance. Drops of blood on my new armour from the Griffin and my braided hair a little ruffled. 

When I turned around a corner, the corner where the Katakan was, to be exact I walked into the library. She sat at a desk a feather in her hands and a small spoon with nearly molten wax in it next to the paper she was writing on. "Mother." I called her what made her look up from the document. "Thank you for the armour." I thanked her and sort of presented it to her that way. She smiled. "I see you already made good use of it." she chuckled and I nodded. "I'll be leaving now with Jaskier. Have you seen him by any chance?" I asked her and she lowered her head.

I frowned. "He left already." she said and I tilted my head. "What? To where?" I asked another question my brows raising with each word. "I don't know. He said he had to leave." she said. Her heartbeat increased and I could smell the small drops of sweat on her forehead. She was lying. I tilted my head. Why was she lying? "Did he tell you why?" I asked another question and crossed my arms in front of my chest. She shook her head. I won't poke the details as to why she lied out. Either she didn't like him and told me that so that I would leave without him but I am pretty sure if he would be here I would have heard the lute from any place in the palace. Or the other reason, Jaskier told her to say that but then again why?

I sighed. "Alright. If he comes back here, tell him, I'm on my way to Kaer Morhen." I said and she nodded smiling. She approached me and reached her arms out for me to hug her. I raised a brow. "Are you sure? I have Griffin blood on me." I chuckled and she playfully rolled her eyes. "I've had worse." she said and pulled me into a hug, which I eventually returned. "Be safe and send greetings to my son-in-law." she mumbled next to my ear. "Jaskier told you that, didn't he?" I asked with a laugh as I could feel her nod. 

"Come on, Amber." I said and rode swiftly away from the palace grounds. If this part of the continent already is that cold, Kaer Morhen will be snowed in soon perhaps. The fastest route would be leading through Vengerberg, over Posada and from there to Kaer Morhen. I could stay at my father's overnight when I reach Posada in a few days. 

Each day it grew colder. Each day the frost on the grass got more. Each day the warm breath from Amber and me got more and more visible. Around half a day away from Posada the first snow fell upon Amber's mane. The forest was chilly and a cold fog was dusting the low bushes and the hoofs of Amber. Thin layers of snow were lying on the ground which got more the closer I got to Posada. 

"Dad! I'm home!" I shouted from outside and nearly jumped out of the saddle. Amber knew this area, even though she was an old lady already. She simply wandered to the stables where she used to stay when she still lived here. The door swung open of the house and my father came out with a wide smile. He was wearing just the blouse he wears inside. As it seems, he didn't care to throw over a jacket for the few minutes that we'd be standing outside. 

I walked over to him and hugged him what nearly threw him out of his balance. He chuckled and hugged me back. "Let me guess, you're riding through here for Kaer Morhen." he more stated than it was a question. I laughed a little and nodded. 

"Where have you left the bard and your fiance?" he asked and I bit my lip. "Jaskier is who knows where. Same goes for my husband." I said and stressed the last word at what his eyes lit up. "And I wasn't invited?" he asked playfully shocked. "Nobody was. You know, things happen when on the verge of death." I said shrugging and he laughed at that. "Now, come. Let's get inside." he said and pat my shoulder. 

The house was warm, which let my frozen bones sigh in relief. "Are those crows feet I see there?" I asked teasingly and pointed at my father's face. He touched the sides of his head and chuckled. "Witchers age too, but differently. Take Vesemir for example. I bet he's an old and grey man now, huh?" he asked and I thought for a moment. "He is."

Later that evening I went to the tavern, where I used to work once. Over a decade ago... Time seems to flow by faster when aging seems like a process that would take centuries. I pushed the door open and the room fell silent. I walked inside without bothering. At the bar I recognized a familiar face. "Theo?" I asked, unsure if it was him. His head shoot in my direction. He frowned. "Eve?" he asked with a small grin. I laughed and sat down at the bar. "Ha! You haven't aged a bit! Must've gotten that from your father." he said and filled a mug with ale and placed it in front of me.

Right... Bards don't cross Posada often and when I was here, I was always just for a few at my father's house and then always left directly. Theo had grown older. A longer beard, more wrinkles across his face. He must be the same age as me round about now. "Yeah, actually-" I said and scrunched my nose again. "You seem to travel a lot, according I never see you here and by your apperance." he chuckled. Did he really not notice. "My, my Evelyn Brown." he sighed and made a hand gesture for him to stop. He frowned. "What?"

"Long, very long story short. I am, or was, Evelyn of Lyria. Princess of Lyria. Refused to take the title, became a Witcher instead. Got married and now I am Evelyn of Rivia." I summarized the last years of my life for him. He blinked a few times. "You- what?" he asked confused.