Chapter 8 - Don't be like Geralt -

I attached my bag to Amber's saddle and got up. I hesitated in my motion for a moment because of the pain that went through my arm. There was no reason for me to worry about that, so I hopped on as usual. "Get on." I said and nodded at the horse for Jaskier to finally get on. "Amber surely enjoys some less weight." he said and shook his head as a response to my demand. "Julian." I warned him and his eyes shot open. "Get. On. The. Horse. I don't have any time to waste." I stated, hoping it was clear now, that he should get on that horse. "If you insist." he mumbled and got onto the horse. 

I let my left arm hang loose, steadying itself on my thigh, it hurt like a bitch. "Tomorrow evening we should be in Lyria. If I would have thought of a proper armour sooner, I wouldn't have this now..." I mumbled the last part. "Are you sure your arm is alright?" he asked and tried to look through the cut open clothing, but he won't see much, I have wrapped a part of another ripped shirt around it as a bandage. "Yes, it's nothing." I answered more lie than it was the truth. I cracked my neck a little and ignored Jaskier's flinch.

For the night we made a camp near a small stream. Jaskier sat at the campfire we made and I went over to the water to clean my wound, way too late for such a wound but late is better than never. I unwrapped my upper arm and examined the cut. Didn't look too good. "Shit." I mumbled and started to pour water with my other hand over it. There were strings from the cloth in it and dust or whatever. It burned removing all of that and I tried my best to shush myself by biting my lip. Overnight I would let the wound open, so the skin could breathe a little.

"If you ask me, that's almost an infection." Jaskier said and pointed with a stick at my upper arm as I approached the fire where he was sitting. Was he watching me? I put my hand right under the wound. "You think? I don't feel a thing." I shrugged and sat down on the ground next to him. "Don't lie to me. I heard you cursing over there." he said and raised his brows. "Don't be like Geralt." he said and fumbled with the stick in his hands. "You don't have to play all tough around me. I've known you, Eve." he snorted a little. "I remember when you were over dramatically complaining when you 'sprained' your ankle." he said and I smirked a little. "Hey!" I hit him lightly on the shoulder. "It was sprained." I defended myself. "Yeah- whatever." he said and scrunched his nose a little.

"Now, again. Does it hurt?" he asked and raised both brows again, waiting for an honest answer. "N-" I wanted to say but he stopped me. "No 'no' allowed. I know it hurts you but I want you to admit that finally." he said and I sighed. "Alright, it hurts... a little." I threw my head back a little and looked at the leaves on the trees which moved through the wind with a soothing sound. I looked back and he didn't look pleased. I rolled my eyes. "It hurts a lot." I said a little louder than usual. "Happy now?" I asked and he smiled. He simply nodded and laid down with his back on the blanket he was sitting on. "G'night, Jaskier." I said as I saw the tiredness in his face, even tho his eyes were already closed. "Good night, Eve." he said, finishing it with a yawn.

I wasn't tired yet so I took out my sword to sharpen it but before I could even start I noticed that I haven't wiped off the Ogroid oil yet. The blade was still sticky and... well, smelly. I took out a piece of cloth, that needed to be washed already and wiped across the blade. Through the fat of the bear and the ginatia petals, my blade got polished. All nice and clean now. I put the sword aside and went to wash the cloth in the stream before I forget it again to clean it. 

On the surface of the water, the crescent moon got reflected and was next to the campfire and a firefly here and there, the only light source. The water was clean, making the smaller and bigger rocks inside the water visible. The water turned dull as soon as the cloth touched it, the dirt flowing with the stream away from me and the water was quickly clean again. It was probably even drinkable. I filled my water hose up with it and placed it back on my belt. The cloth was clean again, well the cleanest it will get without soap and proper scrubbing. 

I couldn't go to sleep and leave the bard unprotected but I still needed the energy for the next day. The simplest way to accomplish both things was to meditate. Like this, I would be rested as if I had slept but my consciousness wasn't gone so I would notice everything around me. 

I hung the wet cloth over the log, I had been sitting on, for it to dry and then sat on the ground with my back leaning on the log. I shot a glance at the sleeping bard. Light snoring escaped his mouth as he was knocked out next to his lute, which he held with one arm as if it was a lover. I smirked a little. I placed my shins on the ground and was merely above my calves. Then I placed my hands in fists on my thighs and concentrated on my breathing. The only thing audible to my ears was the fire slowly burning out and the branches cracking underneath the heat and slowly falling apart.