Chapter 24 - Where is she? -

"So, there I am, freezing my bollocks off in the middle of a grain field for the second straight night, when the farmer's wife comes sneaking out to tell me that I'm wasting my time. It wasn't a mora her husband saw leaving that room. No. It was the fucking field hand!" Lambert told and erupted in laughter along with the others. Even Ciri laughed and looked over at me. I did, too. "Oh, and now she's wailing, 'Oh, what are we gonna do? My husband won't pay you if you don't deliver a mora head!'" he continued, imitating said woman. He chuckled. "So I pulled out my sword and I said 'Bet he'll pay double for the field hand's.'" He finished the story and the room erupted with laughter yet again.

"Good old Lambchop." Coen commented. "She returned with two horses and a fur rug. Best job I had all year." Lambert said and grabbed his mug from the table. "Each of your faces is cause enough for celebration. You're safe. You made it back. You made it home." Vesemir spoke with a smile as a toast. We all drank but Vesemir quickly interrupted his doing. 

"Except, Geralt." He started and all eyes were now on me. "Where did you leave our dear Evelyn?" he asked with extended arms. I bit my lip. "I don't know, if completely honest." I admitted. Lambert nearly spat out his drink. "Did she get cold feet before the wedding?" he laughed at what a few joined. I felt Ciri's glare on me but I didn't return it. "We separated in Cintra." I said and the mood sank. "I'm sure she's alright!" Coen exclaimed. "Have you seen her? I still get goosebumps thinking about our first meeting." he shivered in the middle of his sentence.

He raised his mug. "Here's to another winter, one that I am sure of, that Evelyn will join us." he toasted. Mumbling went around, agreeing with him. "To breath in our lungs." - "Hear, hear!" they agreed again. "To the brothers." I toasted. "To forgetting the fucking path!" a familiar voice shouted through the room. "For one fucking night. Who's ready?" he shouted again. I smiled and approached him to hug him. "Eskel!" the others greeted him. 

"Are you all right? You look like day-old shit." I asked him and he nodded only slightly, breaking our hug. "You should see the other guy. The bout lasted six hours." he said and walked past me to the others. "I'd have got the fucker, too, if hadn't lost my elixirs. Took her hand though." he said and dropped a leather bag to the ground. "Is that a Leshy?" Lambert asked as he kicked the wooden hand in the bag. "Walked like one. Talked like one. Sort of." he said. "Sort of?" one asked with a raised brow. 

"I haven't crossed a Leshy in a while." I mumbled. "Not in Kaedwen." Lambert agreed. "Well, count yourselves lucky. Unless you're aching for the sting of one of their fucking roots." Eskel said, chuckling a little uneasy. He held to his right shoulder. "Fire through the heart is the only thing that puts one down. Six hours in, that didn't occur to you?" Vesemir asked what made a few of them laugh. 

Eskel caught a glimpse of Ciri and approached her with a dark glare. She hid herself behind the mug and took a sip. She turned her head towards him as he bend down to her sitting figure. "Who the hell are you?" he asked. She put away her mug. "Princess Cirilla of Cintra. Pleasure to meet you." she said in a feisty tone. Eskel laughed. "Geralt, you brought another princess?" he scoffed playfully. "Come to speak of her - where is she? I owe her a round of Gwent." he chuckled. Ciri had several question marks, still, above her head. "I don't know. I'm counting on her making it here." I said and he frowned.

---

"When you told me you called the Law of Surprise, I told you, 'Big mistake'." Vesemir said as I took my sword out of the wooden pillar for training. "You said you promised you wouldn't claim the child. I said, 'Good. Still a big mistake.'" he said with his hand on his hips. I shrugged. "I had to save her." I defended myself. "I know. And you knew I would call you out on it." He said. I smiled a little. "Yeah." I agreed. "You brought her here anyway." I sighed. "Remember when I told you that Kaer Morhen is to be out of people's knowledge?" he asked and now crossed his arms. I nodded. "When I brought Evelyn." This time Vesemir sighed.

"So you're telling me she escaped Nilfgaard." he repeated my words and sat now across from me. "Survived the wholesale slaughter of her kingdom. How?" He asked in disbelieve. "I asked." I said and rubbed my hand against each other. "She lied." Vesemir raised his brows. "It's not like you to let it go." he said with a small grin. "Witchers watch for answers. I think you might've said that one." I said while squinting my eyes. "Oh, what was I thinking?" Vesemir chuckled.

"I brought her here so she's safe. It's easier for me to protect her within these walls." I explained. "Long enough to watch for answers." Vesemir caught up on my idea. "Exactly. Learn who she is. What she is. And how I can help her." I explained. "You say that but remember what happened the last time Witchers shoved their noses into the dramas of courts and kingdoms. What if your princess is more than you bargained for?" he asked. 

"I know that already." I smirk. "But I'm not alone on this one." I added at what Vesemir rolled his eyes with a heavy sigh. "I'm sure with Evelyn you can handle this, if Evelyn was just a Witcher. She's a princess, too, Geralt. The kingdom of Lyria and Rivia will be dragged into this." he said and fumbled with my fingers. "She declines the throne and her title. Considering Evelyn would stay out of this, Lyria and Rivia would still get dragged into this." I said and scratched my chin.

For once, I was playing her card; unnoticeable noticeable hint giving. Vesemir's brows raised by themselves it seemed as he saw the metallic ring on my finger. He smiled and pat my shoulder. "Congratulations, wolf." he said. "Keep this between us. I don't want Ciri catching up on that." I said and he shook his head amused. "She will eventually and may already be on it."