The What?!

I don't like storms, I never did, and tonight was no exception. I was dark, gloomy, and cold, almost promising thunder and rain. The whole gang was over tonight. We had already eaten dinner and the boys were watching TV. Me? Well, I was in my room, reading one of Ponyboy's books. It was called, 'Gone With The Wind'. It was quite interesting, actually. I figured that if I kept myself occupied that I would be too busy to acknowledge the storm. Well, that's not entirely true, I knew that it wasn't going to work. The real reason that I was in my room and not out in the living room with the boys, was because I didn't want them to know that I was afraid of storms. They would probably think that I was a baby or something. Two-bit was the only one who knew, obviously because he's my brother, and he promised me that he would never tell them.

My throat was getting dry and I was getting thirsty, I needed water. I walked to the kitchen and grabbed a glass from the cupboard and poured some water in it. After drinking it, I set it in the sink.

"Hey, what are you guys watchi-"

BOOM

I yelped and all heads turned to me. Uh oh.

"Mikaela, are you . . . afraid of storms?" Dally teased with a smirk on his face.

"N-no," I lied.

"It's okay if you are." Sodapop said, "We'll protect you."

A smile began to spread across my face.

"Thanks." I said, walking towards Two-bit.

BOOM

I jumped up onto the couch and cuddled into Two-bit's side.

"Hey, It's okay." Two said while rubbing my back.

I ended up jumping every time there was thunder.

I looked out of the window, It was raining pretty hard and pretty windy out, too. I heard a loud whining sound, sort of like a police siren, but not quite. The boys exchanged glances.

"Two-bit, what's that sound?" I asked. My heart rate sped up and panic began to set in. He didn't answer. The gang was walking around and gathering things together.

"Two-bit..." I questioned, my voice filled with panic.

"C'mon." He said while helping me up, "It's the tornado siren." I froze.

"The what?!" I stared at him, wide eyed.

"Come on  Kael, we have to get to the bathroom, we'll be more safe in there than out here." Two tried to assure. It didn't work, I was shaking by now.

"Steve!" Two called, a hint of annoyance in his voice.

"Yeah?" he walked over.

"Take her to the bathroom while I help get stuff together." Two-bit told him.

I followed Steve into the bathroom and he pulled me down onto the floor to sit beside him. He put his arm around me, and pulled me closer so that I was right up against his side.

"I brought a couple of blankets." Ponyboy said while handing a blanket to Steve. 

Steve slid his arm off of my shoulders and draped the blanket over the both of us. I wrapped my arms around one of his and leaned my head on his shoulder. I could still hear the loud whining of the siren.

"Steve?" I asked, my voice shaky.

"Yeah?" he asked.

"I'm scared."

He put a finger under my chin, lifting my head up to his.

"Don't be." he smiled.

I hadn't realized how close our faces were to each others'. He slowly moved his head closer to mine, moving his eyes from my lips to my eyes every so often. I could feel his breath against my lips and I looked into his eyes. He pressed his forehead against mine and closed his eyes, I copied.

"We finished gathering things together-" me and Steve jerked our heads apart at the sound of Soda's voice. We looked over at the door and saw Soda just walking into the bathroom.

"How are you doing Mikaela?" Soda asked while sitting on the other side of Steve.

"Fine." I grumbled.

You wouldn't like it if one of your friends barged in while the guy you liked was about to kiss you, would you? I didn't think so.

I laid my head back on Steve's shoulder while the rest of the guys shuffled into the bathroom. Darry was the last one in, so he closed the door behind him. Two-bit sat down on the left side of me.

Darry was going over the safety precautions, or whatever. I wan't paying attention, I was too busy replaying the moment me and Steve almost had before Soda so rudely interrupted. Steve must like me if he was about to kiss me, right? Oh who am I kidding, he probably just felt bad for me. I felt a hand graze mine. Steve wrapped his hand around mine and squeezed it reassuringly.

We had been in the bathroom waiting out the storm for about an hour before the siren stopped. I was half asleep so I couldn't really comprehend what was going on, but I think Darry went to check if the storm was over, or if it had at least calmed down.

I felt a strong pair of arms lift me off of the ground.

"I can taker her, Steve." I heard Two-bit say.

Steve handed me over to Two-bit.

After less than a minute of Two carrying me, I felt him place me on what I assumed was my bed.

"Goodnight Kael." he whispered and kissed my forehead.